UK Solicitor John
UK Solicitor John, Solicitor
Experience:  8 years legal experience
106125879

I was sold a van, 3 days later the batteries were dead, I

Customer Question

Hi, I was sold a van, 3 days later the batteries were dead, I charged them up then 3 days later they were dead again, my mechanic tested them and said they needed replacing, as I was in the middle of moving house and needed to move the vehicle I had to purchase the new ones (£190). Have they sold me a vehicle "not fit for purpose" under the statutory rights act?
Assistant: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?
Customer: There was no warranty with the vehilcle.
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I had emailed them and now have just spoken to them, they are saying they will not contribute
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Expert:  UK Solicitor John replied 6 months ago.

Hello, welcome to Just Answer. I am a qualified solicitor happy to assist you today.

Please note this is not a chat service, so there may be delays in responding.

I am just reviewing your question and will provide a response shortly which will be later on today.

Hello, please confirm if you purchased the van from a private seller or a dealer?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
A dealer

Thank you, ***** ***** the van does entitle you to protection under the Consumer Rights Act, that the van you purchased was of satisfactory quality, as described and fit for purpose. As the battery was dead, it can be said that all three of these were breached so your rights under the act state you are entitled to a full refund within 30 days of purchase.

You have intimated you wish to keep the van and just want reimbursement for the £190 you paid for the battery, therefore you should send a letter to the dealership requesting this payment within 7 days stating your rights under the Act. If they refuse, you will need to issue a claim against them in the small claims court for breach of your consumer rights, using the mechanics testing as evidence that the van was not of satisfactory quality, as described or fit for purpose.

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any further questions, and kindly provide a rating, thank you, John

Hello, please let me know if any further questions, if not please take a moment of your time to provide a rating, so Just Answer credits me for my time. Kind regards, John.