JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

I have received a Notice of Intended Prosecution for

Hi, I have received a Notice of Intended Prosecution for speeding in the post last week, the occurrence happened back in September. The car was a hire car so my details were passed over, but should this still have taken almost 4 months to arrive with me?
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: Kent, UK
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: Don't know yet, need to confirm whether I was driving first
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have received two NIPs for events in the same place within 5 days of each other

Hello, this is Jim and I am a dual-qualified lawyer (UK and Republic of Ireland) and happy to help you today.

Unfortunately it can. With hire or leased vehicles the NIP's can take weeks if not months to arrive. All the Police have to show is they posted the NIP to the registered keeper of the vehicle within 14 days of the alleged offence for the NIP to be valid/in time. They can take up to 6 months in some cases - so unfortunately the NIP would still be valid unless the hire company didn't receive it until after 14 days (and assuming the DVLA details were updated with their vehicle and address, etc).

I hope this helps – if you can please give a positive rating by clicking 5 stars (at the top of your screen), I can answer any follow up questions at no extra charge and I will be credited for helping you today.

Many thanks,

Jim