How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 69032
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I have a small question: I have been at the hairdresser in

This answer was rated:

Good morning
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I have a small question: I have been at the hairdresser in October last year who ruined my hair (wrong colour and cut) and it cost me £200.00. I paid but complained and they told me to refund me. Since then I am chasing them for the money.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am London based. The hair dresser is in Forest Hill.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have emailed them and in the email they confirmed to refund me. But not the exact amount. Then I kept chasing them via email and phone calls since the owner apparently broke his arm and was out of the studio. I then called again, reached the owner and then he suddenly said he would only refund me the colour since the cut he thinks is debatable. He didn't say how much and of course, did not refund. I then emailed again saying can you please solve this now. I also called my bank but they can't issue a refund via Visa, because they would need an email from the hair dresser stating the exact amount they want to refund. I don't have that. Is it worth the chase, or should I let it go. I am not relying on the money but I don't like to encourage that impolite behaviour.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thats all thank you.

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

How much are you now owed?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Morning, I am owed £200
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Am afraid but at work so can't speak, I know calling is easier usually.

No problem and thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you.

Many thanks for your patience. Whilst you cannot force them to refund you or compensate you, if they refuse to do so, you can consider taking this further more formally.

If a party wishes to pursue another for financial compensation arising out of a dispute between them, they can do so by making a claim in the civil courts. As legal action should ideally be used as a last resort, there are certain steps that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without having to involve lawyers or the courts. These can be summarised below and it is recommended the following procedure is followed to try and progress this matter further:

1. Reminder letter – if no informal reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the other party to voluntarily settle this matter.

2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but have been ignored, the other party must be sent a formal ‘letter before action’ asking them to resolve this amicably within a specified period of time, usually 7 to 14 days. They should be advised that if they fail to do contact you in order to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to pursue them for the compensation in question. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this matter without the need for legal action.

3. If they fail to pay or at least make contact to try and resolve this, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to Once the claim form is completed a copy will be sent to the other side and they will have a limited time to defend it. Once they are aware that legal proceedings have commenced it may also force them to reconsider their position and perhaps prompt them to contact you to try and resolve this.

As a final tip, it is always advisable to keep copies of any correspondence sent and received as the courts would like to refer to it if it ever gets that far.

Does this answer your query?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi, many thanks for this. I did send them an email already asking to resolve this until January 7th. They have ignored that email, meaning - if I understand correctly - the next step would be to go via moneyclaim. How much does this cost me? Many thanks.

The next step is to send a formal letter before action, then you make a claim if they do not reply. In terms of costs, to make the claim it would be £25 and if it is defended and has to go to a hearing – another £25

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No I mean court costs. Are there lawyers that take this on for free and when you win, they get half the win?

These are the court costs, but if you mean lawyer’s fees then there are no win no fee lawyers out there who could potentially take it on. I just cannot direct you to any as we need to remain independent. But you also do not need a lawyer to make the claim, you can easily do it yourself if you wanted to and save money that way

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks Ben that was very helpful.

You are most welcome

Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you