How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10588
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

I have a directions Questionnaire N181 issued to me by the

This answer was rated:

I have a directions Questionnaire N181 issued to me by the court for a claim I registered and need help completing it please
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I live in Coventry, but working in Crawley
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: England then
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: What steps have I taken - I issued the company a letter for full refund 3 times 7 days and 22 days respectively after the purchase, tried to use their resolution centre to resolve the matter which did not work, I issued the company a letter before action after which I registered a claim and Money Claim Online

Hello, this is Jim and I am a dual-qualified lawyer (UK and Republic of Ireland) and happy to help you today.

I will help you with the N181. How much is the claim worth? I ask as draft directions need to be attached to the N181 - I have a template for you to use.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The claim is worth over £30k

Thanks, ***** ***** need to tailor the attached document (the party names and claim number).

The N181 - which parts do you need help with?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am not available to speak on the phone right now, however, I am available to speak from 6pm if this is fine with you?

Hi there, I can deal with the question online if that suits. No call is needed.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yeah, online is also fine...
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What time is best for you?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Do I have to pay the amount to continue?

I can't take a call I am afraid but like I say I can answer your question online. The call is an optional extra, yes, as you will be able to speak to a solicitor for the further fee.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I need help with all the parts of the form, some are straight forward, but I wan to be sure I have done eve

OK, I will go through it now for you. I will type out the various parts

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

The top of the N181 (court) - insert "CCMCC". This stands for county court money claims centre. Insert claim number to the right. And where it says "to be completed...", insert your name and cross out "defendant/part 20 claimant".

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok, done


1. yes

2. yes

B2. this section needs to state your local county court (not sure where you live. If you tell me I can confirm).

C. yes

D. no

D3.1. no

D3.2. yes

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I live in Coventry

OK, insert "county court at coventry"

D4. standard directions by list

still on D4: you need to also fill in the N263 disclosure report, so tick yes for the next box:

D4, "have you agreed a proposal..." etc - tick "no".

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What does it mean if I we have tried to settle the matter before trial...

E. "no" (unless you have an expert report to prove your case - if so let me know)

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
You said to tick yes, has this been fulfiled

which section are you looking at?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am still on Section 2, sorry...

section 2? There is section A, B, etc

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sorry C

C refers to the pre-action protocol, so if you issued the claim after giving the defendant time to respond then fine, you have complied, so tick yes.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok, how about B1

not applicable as the case is worth £30K

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
D4. standard directions by list - Should I insert this?


Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok... the form N263 what is it for?

disclosure form usually required in cases worth over £25,000 (being a multi track case). They are easy to complete.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok, let's carry on

OK, I was at section E last. Are you there?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

So I wasn't sure if you had a report from an expert (in relation to your dispute with the defendant). If not then tick no for section E.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I do not have a report from an expert, however it was a car I bout and a friend of mine who is an insurance agent had a look at the car that showed me the flaws to the car, I can ask him to do me a report, but I don't know if this qualifies as an expert report?

No, that wouldn't. They can be one of your witnesses in the case but not an expert (they are not independent for a start). So complete section E with "no".

F (witnesses) next.

Insert your name (and box to the right), insert "issues in dispute and value of claim".

Put in your friend's name in this section too and insert "issues in dispute"

Section G - one day

Section H - leave this section

Section I - tick "no" for application. In the box underneath insert "standard multi track directions applicable, see attached"

Section J - sign and date.

Then attach the draft directions which I uploaded and the N263 form duly completed. Send one copy of these to the court and one to the defendant.

I hope this helps – if you can please give a positive rating by clicking 5 stars (at the top of your screen), I can answer any follow up questions at no extra charge and I will be credited for helping you today.

Many thanks,


Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok will do
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ido I need to do anything on the draft you sent me?

just the top of it - if you insert the name of the claimant and defendant and the claim number. That's it then.

Does this help?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
thanks very much.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I can only rate when I finish, will I still be able to contact you after the chat closes?

Yes, the question stays open until you are satisfied, even after rating it. So if you rate it then it will remain open as long as you need it

JimLawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Are you able to help with completing form N263 please?

Yes, section 1 just lists the documents you have (e.g. invoices, emails, letters, texts) relevant to the case.

Section 2 is not for you - it's for a law firm so leave that blank.

Section 3 is not applicable either.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

No problem, glad this helps.

Have a good day

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I guess I will have to send a copy these to the defendant as well right?

Yes, the priority is send to the court. And a copy to the defendant too which is normal practice

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
If I want to claim legal fees, where will this be stated?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Will it appear in any of these forms?

No, it would be at the conclusion of the case. When there is a final hearing, you send an N260 statement of costs. Copy attached. You can claim £19 per hour as a litigant in person (assuming you do not incur lost earnings from time off from your job).

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok, great!
Thank you so much for this today

No problem, thanks for the questions and come back if you need to.

Best wishes,