How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 15916
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I need help regarding copyright law, none, the copyright

This answer was rated:

Hello I need help regarding copyright law
JA: What written documentation do you have?
Customer: none, the copyright doesn't belong to me
JA: Have you talked to a local attorney? Has anything been filed in court?
Customer: no not yet
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am a student part of a group at university and we have been tasked with creating a tv show. Specifically we have chosen a 'Battle of the Bands' type tv show, and we were wondering if we needed permissions to play 'cover' songs of popular artists for our class production


Yes,you would need permission from the copyright owners of these songs.

May I help further?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Could you suggest how I might obtain a mechanical license or the UK's equivalent?

I am afraid I am unable to assist with that, it depends on the songs you intend to play and in which jurisdiction the copyright owners are located.

All the best. Please click on 5 stars for the original answer given. Thank you

Thanks for your question. The answer from the earlier expert is wrong. This is a production made as part of an educational course and so is exempt from copyright. As long as the production is never used commercially you are free to make your show and use covers of songs. You do not need a licence. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited by JustAnswer for helping you today.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you very much, that is really helpful! I will definitely leave a positive review. Would it be okay if I asked you to source me a piece of text citing/referencing that? It's so that I can use it in my research. I will definitely leave 5 stars.

Yes. See online section 34 of the Copyright Designs and Patents Act 1988.

JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 15916
Experience: 30 years as a practising solicitor.
JGM and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your time!