How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UK_Lawyer Your Own Question
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2511
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
Type Your Law Question Here...
UK_Lawyer is online now

I am an UK resident(67yrs). My son married an USA resident 5

This answer was rated:

I am an UK resident(67yrs). My son married an USA resident 5 yrs ago. He is 30 and wishes to return to the UK with his wife to reside. To meet the financcial requirements is it legal for me to deposit some of my inheritence (£65,000) in his UK account to enable him to expediate his and his wifes return?
Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: He is about to file for spousal cisa I believe. It is the finances I wish to be sure of.
Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: Not yet. Because the financial situation is what I need to be sure of.
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not sure what else is needed.

Hi , thank you for your question.


Could you please confirm when your son wishes to return? is he able to wait 6 months before submitting the application?


Kind regards

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
We are examining the position, yes he can wait 6 months but as his parents would like to spped things up if possible. Hence the question re. the financial position he needs to bring her over without a long delay.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I belive he needs about £65k in his UK account to do so But for how long must he show a balance of £65k and can someone else deposit it into his account legally?!?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I cannot see your response to this question!

Thank you for your reply.


Would this third person be providing the funds as a gift?


Kind regards

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I am not sure a sum this large could really be considered a gift in reality...what are the implications of considering it as a loan from one's parents.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I think my phonemay ha e blocked your latest response...unless this system uses dodgey po ups. I Aam no expert, but alsi do not think we can justify phone calls at £44 a pop. I still work and only get £11/hr !!!! Are you going to offer further communication?!?

Thank you for your reply.


We have had matters in the past where parents have gifted this some to their children to assist them with their spouse visas. The problem with a loan would be that the sponsor ( your child) would need to pay you back and the money would not be considered theirs or they would not be considered to have full control over it.


In this instance the money would need to be gifted to your child. The money would then need be in their account for 6 months prior to the visa application and then to ensure they meet the financial requirement up until the visa is issued. If when their spouses visa comes up for renewal and this money was not in their account at the time of extension of the spouse visa, your child would need to show that he is earning at least £18,600.00 gross to meet the financial requirement at the time of application.


I hope this answers your question if so please provide a rating and feedback.


Kind regards

UK_Lawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok. This is what I had thought would be the case. It still seems a grossly unfair system for those not abusing the immigration system. Obviously my son would try to get a job to support himself, and his wife will also do the same, so it all seems rather unjust. Thank you for confirming my understanding of the position.