How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10588
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

I live in my home with my wife the mortgage is in joint

This answer was rated:

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I live in my home with my wife the mortgage is in joint names with my ex-partner i pay the mortgage and she has asked that the property be sold but we have nowhere to go as it is on interest only there is no equity available in the property so it is pointless to sell we have done this for 4 years now & it was agreed my ex new partner is now pushing this and is threatening us with texts to sell
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: England Leeds
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: nothing as yet they are asking to meet
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have a daughter with my ex and she is at University her course ends summer 2020 but she plans to do a masters I pay for all that her rent etc.. and my ex pays nothing that is part of the agreement for us to stay in the house until she has finished further education

Hello, this is Jim and I am a dual-qualified lawyer (UK and Republic of Ireland) and happy to help you today.

The court would only order if a sale if there was equity available, or if there are no children living there, and other factors. The court also takes in to account the impact it would have on you if the house was to be sold. The ex would need 3 valuations and then issue court proceedings - the court would list a hearing where you both attend and you can object to a sale of the property. It is quite difficult to get the court to force a sale of a property and there has to be good reasons to do so. I would therefore not worry about it and continue to object to your ex's demands.

I hope this helps – if you can please give a positive rating by clicking 5 stars (at the top of your screen), I can answer any follow up questions at no extra charge and I will be credited for helping you today.

Many thanks,


JimLawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you