How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anthony Chendo Your Own Question
Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1751
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
Type Your Law Question Here...
Anthony Chendo is online now

I had a guy who rented my flat but didnt pay me the last

This answer was rated:

Hi I had a guy who rented my flat but didnt pay me the last months rent We were kind of friends so I didnt ask for a deposit WHich was silly I sent him a letter which gave him 7 days to repond but also appears he has moved and i dont know his address
JA: What steps has he taken so far? Has he prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: He wrote a contract and sent to me But now he is just ignoring me
JA: Where is the flat located?
Customer: Hckeny London e9
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no is this free ?


Welcome to JA.

You can instruct a tracing agency to obtain his address and then once you get his address you can commence court proceedings. Further if court proceedings are commenced and you obtain a court judgment you can then send the baliffs to recover the unpaid losses. Do you understand what I have stated if yes I will proceed to the next step.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have sufficient evidence he owes money but also I don’t have a signed contract does this still apply?


Do you have any evidence to support the agreement in place such as text messages?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
whatsappp messages and emails and also he paid 1800 into my bank all accept from the last month

Given the messages it appears you have sufficient evidence to convince the court an agreement was in place which the debtor breached and as a result he owes you last month rent. Therefore you can approach a tracing agency run by ex-Police called - to trace the debtor. Once you have his adress you can then consider undertaking court action to recover the money claimed. However before doing so you can come back to me and I can assist you with completing the claim form and necessary steps before commencing court action.

Please note if you are successful with the court action there arr various thing to do to recover your money such as you can send baliffs to the debtor home to seize and sell goods worth the value of the debt owed or you can consider securing a charge against his property too.

I hope I have clarified the position if not please let me know

However if I have clarified the position please before you leave JA today please rate the assistance provided by clicking on the 5 stars button at the top of your screen as this will help improve the service given in future.


Anthony Chendo and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you