Ross Miller
Ross Miller,
Experience:  Director (Litigation and Mediation) at Hilltop Solutions
106205234

I recently became unemployed and consequently started a

I recently became unemployed and consequently started a business with a friend. We were advised to register as a limited company rather than a limited partnership. However, we both have young children in part time childcare and now do not quality for child tax credits based on the fact that we are technically in employment but not earning the minimum amount required. Would we have been better off setting up as a partnership where (I believe) we would be classified as self employed and so exempt from the minimum earning requirements for the first year of business. Or is there another option for us that we’re not aware of?
Assistant: Are you filing as a sole proprietor or independent contractor?
Customer: We are equal owners
Assistant: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: i don’t think so

Hello my name is Ross and I can help with this matter.

I can understand where you are coming from and understand your predicament. However it is not quite as simple as this however, I can help you make the best advantage of this without actually having to contact the DWP.

the best thing you can do is enlist the help of the Citizens Advice Bureau. They have appointed benefits advisers who are experts in this matter. If you go to them with all your documents then they will be able to assess the situation for you. The Citizens Advice also have programme called QBC this will allow them to input all of your information and do an assessment on your individual situation without having to contact the DWP. This QBC system will also be able to highlight and identify any benefits you may be entitled to but are not qualifying at the moment. If you application is rejected then the CSA can help you with any mandatory reconsideration as well as potentially provide you with representation at a benefits tribunal should this become necessary.

I would be obliged if you could Click to “accept” the answer and leave me a 5 star rating (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions free of charge.

Ross

Ross