UK Solicitor John
UK Solicitor John, Solicitor
Experience:  8 years legal experience
106125879

Ive just read C's response to a PCN and a letter from a debt

Hi Ive just read Joe C's response to a PCN and a letter from a debt collection agency. I'm is a similar position in that I challenged the original PCN on the company website, sent 3 letters, spoke with POPLA and the BPA and yet today I have a threatening letter for £170 i.e. £60 PCN + £100 fees. Interesting language used: 'we are seeing approval from our client to pass your account to a Doorstep Collection Agent. Intimidation !!
JA: Where is this? And when did the issue begin?
Customer: 1st October, Scotland.
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: Having read Jo's response, I doubt it. I actually sent a cheque 20 Dec to pay the £60 just to put an end to it but the last letter arrived last Thurs.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that's it thanks

Hello and welcome to the site.

Please be aware this is not a live chat service so there may be delays in responding.

What would you like to know about this please? Have they confirmed receipt of your payment?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
No, they haven't. Cheque was issued by my father and I've asked him to check with his bank.

Yes, he should check if it has been cashed. Have you spoken with the parking company about the payment? They can be quite bullish if payment is not received

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
My father just confirmed the cheque (dated 20/12/2019) has not been cashed. They are threatening a doorstep collection agency - intimidating. The company who issued the PCN do not take calls. Hence I involved the British Parking Association.

Can you confirm the name of the company please?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
P4 Parking issued the PCN. TNC Collections are chasing the money on their behalf
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Are you still working on this?

They are not a nice lot to deal with, if you still intend on paying, then cancel the first cheque and re-issue another one to put an end to it.

Their details are:

P4Parking UK – 0845 556 0789

TNC collections – 0844 579 0241

Or make payment via any method they provide on their letter, whether it is online or on the phone.

Do not be intimidated by their threats, doorstep debt collection agents don't have any special legal powers that allow them to repossess goods. Their role is to try and work out a payment agreement so they can recover the money owed, they are not bailiffs or an enforcement agent so in one sense if one did show up and you are intending on paying, you can just give them the £60. Only if they issued proceedings against you and won, would you have to pay all the fees they are asking for, but if they issued then you simply defend the matter as the fees are excessive and a good defence means you would not have to pay.

Is there anything I can clarify for you regarding this?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Spoke to TNC earlier today and they asked if the cheque was cashed. They will call back tomorrow. the P4 Parking is a payment line - I've tried. So if I'm reading this correct, all I need to pay is the £60?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hi, am I correct?

You really should just pay what is owed, that is, whatever amount the cost was for breach of contract for the parking charge, so £60 seems more that reasonable. So it is advisable to wait to see if they call you back tomorrow so you can pay and put this behind you.

Also, please note, as stated, this is not a live chat so there may be delays in responding although I will try and respond as quickly as possible.

Were there any further questions you had?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thanks John.

My pleasure. Please return to the site if any more assistance is needed. Kind regards, John.