Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I had lot of issues while flying back from US to UK... 3

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I had lot of issues while flying back from US to UK... 3 airlines were involved, and I am sure, who I should complain to.... It was as follows:
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: in UK, no I did not talk to nay lawyer, I am not sure which lawyer I need to talk to.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: nothing, because, I am not sure how to go about this, since I am not sure which airlines should I sue , in my case. there were mistakes from 3 diff airlines...and I went through lot of stress, paid again for the tickets, which was of no fault of mine...
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no, I need advise since, I don't know how to go about this...
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 7 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

Can you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I had my flight booked with icelandair from heathrow to Miniapolis (in US).
While returning, I went to airport - icelandair - and i was told my flight was cancelled, and I was booked as follows:
delta - from miniapolis to Chicago
BA- chicago to Heathrew
so i was asked to go to another terminal where Delta is and was also asked to be quick since the delta flight was 1 hr early than my icelandair.
I and my son(15 yrs) rushed to the diff terminal went to Delta
Delata gave me barding passes until Chicago and said , I will get the boarding pass for Chicago to Heathrow at BA, in chicago.
I then asked I need the details of the flight no and the timing etc.
She then gave me a print out of the itinary on a page which looked like boarding pass, on my son's name, since that was the last name she had on her screen while printing our boarding passes from MN to Chicago.
She also mentioned that we had to be quick in chicago, since there was only 1 1/2 hrs gap between the flights.
after getting don at Chicago, I and my son, hurried to the transit route and reached with other passengers taking BA flight.
Every one had boarding passed and we did not. When asked we said that we were supposed to get the boarding pass at the gate...
They asked us to show some proof, like an email or something...
We showed the itinary printed on my son's name.
They said they can let my son go, but there was no proof for me... they asked me to check my emails...
I quickly opened my laptop and checked emails from delat , or icelandair or BA, and did not find any....
They asked me to give both the hand luggage , laptop etc to my son and asked me to go to terminal5( i was at terminal2) and go to BA and get the boarding pass there. since all the luggage is with me son, my security check will not be delayed. for a sec, I was worried about sending my son alone, but time was running out for me, and they repeated me to go quickly, so I would not miss my flight. I hardly had any time to think and did what they told me.
When I reached the BA around 7:45 (flight leavs at 8:35) there was only one person there. when I gave my passport, he asked me where my son was, and I told him, he was waiting ta the gate for me...
The BA person went inside, and came back after 5 min and said that, I had no tickets and that Delta has messed up...
I told him that Delta had confirmed my tickets, but BA just aksed me to go back to terminal 2 and talk to Delta.
I went back to Delta and Delta said, the tickets were confirmed and gave me a printout with the ticket no on it, for me and my son, and asked me to go back to BA.
I knew I was missing my flight, but did not know what elese to do.
Went back to BA, (there was no one there) , some from security went inside and got the manager from BA. She came out and immediately said that, I was not there one hr before the flight, so they could not give me the boarding pass. They could have said the same previously, why tell me that there were no tickets.
It was almost 8:25 now... I was now worried about my son too.
I requested security to get my son out showed a picture of him, and asked them to keep him near them. I wanted to go to Delta and see, if they could book me in the next flight with was at 10:30PM
I went to Delta explained my situation. The lady was kind and started to check - no tickets in 10:30 flight- then checked for next day morning. she made some calls to check for tickets, and later one more lady came there and checked. Finally after 1/2 hr of checking, she handed me a slip with 800 no to iceland air and asked me to call them and book a ticket, since it was not their fault, if I missed my flight.I was very stressed with all the running and all i could hear from everyone is a sorry. I went back to terminal 5 to get back to my son. When I saw him, the first thing he said was he left the passport in the chair he was sitting and forgot to pick it while coming out. i looked around and found my laptop was also missing. I can't explain what I was going through by now. I requested the security person to go back and check, if she can find the laptop and passport.
she came back and said nothing was there. she was kind enough to call a no where the lost property is taken. they gave me the police no and asked me to call the police. I then called the police who, asked me few questions and confirmed, it was mine and came to the security ad returned my laptop. They did not find any passport...
it was around 9:30 PM. I kept asking every one, what I need to do. I was told to go downstairs, customs, and ask , if they had any lost property. They did not find any , I was then also given an email id to which i could send the details of the lost property.
When I went online to send the email, it was mentioned there, that if the property was lost near the gate we need to check with the airlines.
So I sent the email, and went to BA to check, if they had the passport. But BA was closed and I was told, they would come next day at around

You need to write a letter, set out your losses and request compensation within 30 days or say you will go to Court. This is called a pre-action protocol letter of claim. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy. You must give 30 days warning before going to Court.

If they do not compensate you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/form-n1-claim-form-cpr-part-7 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

If this answers your question could I invite you to rate me 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today?

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget as it is an important part of the online process! If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost. Thank you.