How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SASH_Law Your Own Question
SASH_Law, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2779
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
Type Your Law Question Here...
SASH_Law is online now

I have a daughter 2,5 years old and i m not with her father

This answer was rated:

Hi.i have a daughter 2,5 years old and i m not with her father anymore but he is in her birth certificate. How can i do to make her passport and other documents what she needs without him because i don't know where to find him?thanks
Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No nothing yet
Assistant: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: I m living in slough Berkshire
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: All i want to know what should I do to make passport and everything what my child need without permission of her father which i don't know where he is

Hi, I'm Lea and I have reviewed your query.

Are there any court orders in place regarding the child? Is the father in the UK?

Please bear in mind this is an email service and not a live chat so responses may not be instantaneous. I am not available for calls, but in all cases it is very likely you can be helped online.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I haven't been to the court yet?i don't know if her father still in uk or not
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I m at work atm

Is it a British passport you wish to apply for?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I can call in 2 hours time

I am not available for calls - but your question can be answered online in any case.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I will like to apply for British passport but i heard that i need to have more than 5 years here

Does your own country require you to have the consent of the father to apply for a passport there?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Where are you from?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I m from Romania
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
father the same

You will need to apply for your child's passport in Romania - it is likely they will want an order from the court here in order to be able to issue it without the father's signature.

If they do, you will need to apply to the court for that order - your application will be for a specific issues order to obtain a passport without the father's signature (this would not be necessary if you were applying for a British passport). The court will expect you to have made efforts to locate the father and will likely try to use methods to locate him (via DWP for instance). If he can't be located, the court will make an order - the Romanian embassy is likely to require that order in the form of a C60.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Okay thanks for your answer i will try to text you a bit later from home thanks

No problem.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I will like to know what can i ask for at the court here ?because my embassy don't understand my situation and they said every time I will need something for my daughter i have to bring her father to sign
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
In September i will have 5 years in uk ,after this time is possible to apply for my daughter British passport?

I already answered your question about what the embassy will need. See my answer at 1:41 above.

If you will meet the immigration criteria to apply for a British passport in September 2020, then you are free to wait until then to apply for a passport for your child, as that is a much more straightforward process, requiring only one person with parental responsibility to sign.

Kindly rate postively using the five stars at the top of your page as that is how I am paid for assisting you today. You will still be able to ask clarification questions if you need to. Thank you.

SASH_Law and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you