Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

My employer wants me to list my current and former business

Customer Question

my employer wants me to list my current and former business contact details on their relationship database. Are they entitled to request this information and should I get permission from contacts before providing this information
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: No
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: full time employee
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Unions are not involved at my employers and neither are staff representatives
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

What will they use the information for?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Trying to win new business by asking me to set up meetings to find out how to get work opportunities from my contacts employers. This has happened with many colleagues. My employer tries badgering people to provide their contacts. Most colleagues just go along with it for peace sake even though they haven’t obtained permission from their contacts. I haven’t provided any of my contacts details but this gets dropped into conversation.

Thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Many thanks for your patience. Whether you can do that will depend on whether an individual can be identified from these contact details. For example, if it is just the company’s name and contact details, without an individual contact, that would be fine. However, as soon as an individual can be identified through these contact details that would amount to personal data and under the GDPR legislation you would need their consent to process their details. You can always use that excuse with the employer and remind them of their own obligations in that respect and that without the necessary consent, they will themselves be acting in breach for unlawfully processing personal data.

Does this answer your query?

My response to your query should be visible on this page. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question or whether you need me to clarify anything else in relation to it? If your query has been answered I would be grateful if you could please take a second to confirm this by replying on here. Thank you

Hello, not sure if you are having trouble seeing my posts? I have not heard back from you since posting my answer and just need to know if your query has been resolved. If you could please post a quick reply to confirm I would be very grateful. Thank you