How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jeremy Aldermartin Your Own Question
Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 5905
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jeremy Aldermartin is online now

We moved in with my parents in law 5 years ago to look after

This answer was rated:

we moved in with my parents in law 5 years ago to look after them as they had deteriorating health mother in law passed away and other family want to put dad in a home which we do not want to and make us pay a rent if we want to stay living where we are. Do we have any rights or can they do what they want.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Loughborough leicestershire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: none it has only just happened and I don't know where to start
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: not really
Hi thank you for your messsge do any of your family have power of attorney over your dad?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
only financial
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
is anyone there
Hi thank you for your messsge, I cannot do a call I’m
Afraid but can advise here. Your best bet would be to get a healthcare and financial POA for yourself over your dad. That way they cannot kick you out the house, ask you to pay rent or out your dad in your home.
if your parent does not have the capacity to make this decision himself now, you would need to make an application to court for them to make a decision to award you power of attorney and therefore the right to make decisions on your fathers behalf.
You need to download and fill in:
• an application form (COP1) -
• an assessment of capacity form (COP3) -
• a deputy’s declaration (COP4) -
• an information form (COP1A) if you’re applying to be a property and affairs deputy -
• an information form (COP1B) if you’re applying to be a personal welfare deputy -
You must name at least 3 people in your application who know the person you’re applying to be deputy for. For example, their relatives, a social worker or doctor.
Send the originals to the Court of Protection with:
• 2 copies of your application form
• 1 copy of the other forms
• A cheque for the fees
Send the forms too:
Court of Protection
PO Box*****House
42-49 High Holborn
I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.
Jeremy Aldermartin and other Law Specialists are ready to help you