How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 23353
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now

I Want to make a complaint against the police and seek

This answer was rated:

i Want to make a complaint against the police and seek compensation
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London N14
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I phoned 101, made a claim for out of pocket expenses through the email address provided, but no one seems to want to listen me about their huge error causing me shock , distress . I am a victim of crank call and the consequences have been huge
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: It might be easier to speak to someone as it is a long line of things that have happened and it will take a long time to type out. My front door was bashed in by the police whilst I was out and the after situation has been nothing short of a disgrace

If you are making a complaint against the police, then you can forget ringing 101. In fact, even if you are reporting a burglary in progress, it’s going to be a waste of time. I have a client in exactly that situation.

If you let me know exactly what happened I can give you my opinion further. It’s not uncommon for the police to breakdown the wrong door. Is that what happened?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I was out on Friday evening when I returned, I found that the door was padlocked, and a note to get the keys from Edmonton Police Station and section 17 notice. I was in shock and confused. I got a cab to Edmonton and saw a night duty policeman he said that they received an abondoned call on my address and acted in it. They realised after searching my property that the call was false. He told me to ring 101 in the morning and they will sort out my door and damage. When I got home I unlocked the padlocks and the door was off its hinges and the lock on the carpet together with broken pieces of wood and the panelling around the door broken , all my cupboards and drawers were left open. As the door was in its hinges I couldn’t go to bed and had to stay up all night in an unsecure property. Next morning I phone 101 and was advised that an officer will call me back but I have to sort out my own repair. I found a note left by the police from rapid secure, they said 2 weeks before they can repair , I then had to google local repairers, most were Mon-Fri but I eventually found one who came that afternoon. He only made door secure, I still have arrange for the carpenter and paint work. At no stage have I had an apology, no after care about my well being and security. I am out of pocket for cabs, repairs and also had to miss a football game I had a ticket for as I couldn’t leave the flat. I understand that they have traced the caller and are dealing with it but won’t tell me who it is. I have shocked, confused, distressed, angry about the whole situation. I am a victim but have treated as a criminal and been left to pick up the pieces. I want to know if I am entitled to compensation, money reimbursed and also can I prosecute the perpetrator of the original call. How the police can expect someone to be without a front door us not right
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can you send response. If I need to then talk I will use the phone service. I don’t want to lay out a further £44 at present, I have already spent £400 and I am struggling now on financial payments

I can tell you now that speaking to anybody on the telephone as a waste of time.

You need to put complaint in writing to the Chief Constable because you want all this money paid for and you want some money for the stress and inconvenience.

If it’s not forthcoming make a complaint to the Independent Office for Police Conduct.

There is also nothing to stop you simply issuing small claims court proceedings against the Chief Constable of the area personally (claims against the police are made against the Chief Constable).

You will probably never find out who made the original call.

The offer of a telephone call comes out automatically. It’s optional. You can just ignore it or request it later.

We can continue on here.

If I have answered your question for you, at the top of the page, you should see a rating facility. Can you please rate my reply 3 stars or more because that really helps me? Please note you are not rating whether it’s favourable, because sometimes you may not get the answer you want, but basically my knowledge and way of dealing.

The thread does not close and I am happy to answer any questions you may have arising from this.

Kind regards

Stuart J and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you

I am glad to help.