How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Turner Your Own Question
Ed Turner
Ed Turner,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1367
Experience:  Director and Consultant Solicitor (Self-Employed) at Ed Turner LLB Limited
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ed Turner is online now

I have a money claim from A local Solicitor related to an

This answer was rated:

Hello - I have a money claim from A local Solicitor related to an old Credit Card Debt in Dubai and for the past 11 years there has been no contact from them.
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: In London
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I’m a British Citizen
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: In Jan 2019 I Informed the Local solicitor that I closed the account when I left DUBAI and I give no record or evidence of the spending on the card

Hello. I am Ed, a Solicitor qualified in England & Wales with over a decade’s experience in the legal profession advising clients.

I specialise in Commercial Contracts, Business Transactions, Employment, Dispute Resolution, Personal Injury and Road Traffic Law and will be able to resolve your legal problem today.

Regarding the site’s automatic offer of a Premium Service Phone Call, I am currently out of my office travelling and working from my laptop. I will therefore be unable to speak to you, but another legal expert may pick up your enquiry.

If you do not want a phone call, please cancel the offer for a Premium Service Phone Call and you will not be charged extra.

I am a solicitor qualified in England and Wales. I can advise that the limitation period to issue court proceedings for debt and breach of contract in this jurisdiction is six years from the date of the breach or the debt being incurred.

Therefore, the creditor's claim is way out of time and I recommend that you reply to them stating that you will defend any court proceedings or insolvency action as being time-barred under the Limitation Act 1980 without having to defend the claim on its substantive issues.

However, if the contract is governed by the laws of the UAE, the position may be different and therefore you will need to instruct a lawyer qualified in that jurisdiction in order to advise.

I hope this resolves your enquiry. Please revert to me if you have any further questions and I will be delighted to assist.

Otherwise, I shall be grateful if you will please mark your enquiry as “Closed” and give me a “Positive” rating in order to conclude this matter.

Kind regards


Ed Turner and 5 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank You Ed - I am aware of the six year limitation and will reply accordingly to the court notice. I’m not aware of any claims in Dubai against me. Thank You. Milan