UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

We are a Ltd company which operates a rent to rent business.

Hello We are a Ltd company which operates a rent to rent business. We have a common law agreement with the landlord of one of the properties – 6 bedroom HMO house. One of the clauses of the agreement says that the landlord will obtain and provide a HMO license for the property. He obtained it more that 1 year after the tenancy start, after our constant chasing (at some point we had to withhold the rent for him to make any actions towards obtaining the license).
We in turn sublet rooms in this house under AST where we listed as a landlord. One of the tenants had applied for a Rent Repayment order under “control and management of unlicensed HMO” criteria.
So my questions are:
What can be done for us to avoid RRO and will we be classed as a landlord as such?
Can respondent be changed to the legal owner of the property? Many thanks.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: no steps so far
JA: Where is the house located?
Customer: england
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thanks

I am afraid as you are subletting the rooms, you are deemed to be the landlord of these subtenants.

Legal ownership is different from landlord, you are the landlord for the purposes of this RRO application but the legal ownership remains the registered proprietor.

May I help further?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you UKSolicitorJA. What Rent Repayment order mean for my Ltd company and myself as director? Can the company or myself be prosecuted after RRO is issued?

Please see here: https://www.claimyourrentback.com/2019/07/22/what-is-a-rent-repayment-order/

If you pay the money back as per the RRO, you will be fine.

All the best. Please click on 5 stars

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Dear UKSolicitorJA
thank you for the link. I did find loads of similar info via google however all of the website (including the one you’ve emailed) have one sided info only - for the tenants . There is absolutely no information for the landlords , hence I’m looking for solicitors help on the matter. Thanks for trying to help anyway. Regards Vera