UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I have an issue with landlord, UK, its to do with recovering

I have an issue with landlord
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: UK
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: its to do with recovering service charges for work not carried out
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

What would you like to ask today please?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi, our landlord has decided to build 2 additional units in the building and is trying to recover the costs in the service charge even though this does not benefit any of the owners and is unnecessary, can he do this?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I know Service charges usually cover things like: repairs, maintenance and improvements to communal areas or the building structure. building insurance but this work being undertaken does not fall under any of those, so does he have the right to try and recover some of the costs by increasing our service charge when this is only benefiting him and doesn't add to anything for the existing owners?

No, he does not have that right as you have not agreed to pay for this type of work. Service charges may only be levied for matters covered in the lease.

You may dispute the same at a First Tier Tribunal (Property Chamber) if your landlord does not back down.

May I help further?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
How do I go about the process for the Tribunal? and do I need legal representation?

See here for the procedure: https://www.lease-advice.org/advice-guide/application-first-tier-tribunal-property-chamber/

You may represent yourself or you may get legal representation, if you feel you need assistance.

All the best. Please click on 5 stars