How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 7210
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I have an issue with landlord, UK, its to do with recovering

This answer was rated:

I have an issue with landlord
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: UK
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: its to do with recovering service charges for work not carried out
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no


What would you like to ask today please?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi, our landlord has decided to build 2 additional units in the building and is trying to recover the costs in the service charge even though this does not benefit any of the owners and is unnecessary, can he do this?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I know Service charges usually cover things like: repairs, maintenance and improvements to communal areas or the building structure. building insurance but this work being undertaken does not fall under any of those, so does he have the right to try and recover some of the costs by increasing our service charge when this is only benefiting him and doesn't add to anything for the existing owners?

No, he does not have that right as you have not agreed to pay for this type of work. Service charges may only be levied for matters covered in the lease.

You may dispute the same at a First Tier Tribunal (Property Chamber) if your landlord does not back down.

May I help further?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
How do I go about the process for the Tribunal? and do I need legal representation?

See here for the procedure:

You may represent yourself or you may get legal representation, if you feel you need assistance.

All the best. Please click on 5 stars

UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you