How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jeremy Aldermartin Your Own Question
Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 5422
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jeremy Aldermartin is online now

I am interested in spending a year or two in the U.K.. I am

This answer was rated:

Hello. I am interested in spending a year or two in the U.K.. I am a 48 year old qualified teacher living in Namibia, Africa and would like to find out how to go about applying for a work permit.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: I haven't taken any steps other than visiting family in the U.K. during December. I am a Namibian citizen and currently living and working in Namibia.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: My husband is a lawyer, practicing in Windhoek, Namibia, but has very little knowledge of the law and procedures around immigration issues in the U.K.. Therefore I have not contacted any local solicitors yet. Would you recommend speaking to a local expert first?
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Perhaps the fact that I am almost 49 years old? Is it too late?
Hi thank you for your message, it is not too late. That said, in terms of work you would be looking at a tier 2 work visa which would require you to have got a job in the uk with a sponsor before you come to the uk. Given that your best bet is likely to be to speak to recruiters near you who specialise in international recruitment.
I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.
Jeremy Aldermartin and 4 other Law Specialists are ready to help you