How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask C.Cornel Your Own Question
C.Cornel, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1080
Experience:  Senior Lawyer at Legal Group
Type Your Law Question Here...
C.Cornel is online now

Can I just ask what is the charge for an individual seeking

Customer Question

Can I just ask what is the charge for an individual seeking compensation from a limited company (Whirlpool).
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Complained by phone and formally by letter. Latest reply is a bit vague 'do you still have an issue' which I'd have thought was clear. shld I firstly spell out the issue (overly damp fridge) persists?
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  C.Cornel replied 5 months ago.


The charge applicable to an individual would depend on numerous factors, particularly the complexity of the dispute and the compensation / dispute amount.

If you can tell me further details about what has happened and what compensation amount you are hoping for, I can give you an estimate.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ideally we want a working fridge or our money back (£400) and the dampness is causing a wooden panel to discolur (not sure yet of the cost of replacement) so not huge amounts.
Basically the history (in brief) is bought a fridge from a high street store, it was very wet, high street store couldn't remedy it, Whirlpool visited and replaced the fridge. This one is admittedly better but still damp. Whirlpool's engineer visited, adjusted the fitting and said he'd order us condensation pads that might help. No response from Whirlpool but after several chases it is obvious condensation pads are a discontinued item.
There latest response asks if we are "... still having issues." Whilst I might think that is obvious to them, should i go back with a 'yes' before going down the ADR route?Clive
Expert:  C.Cornel replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for your response.

I would advise to make a written complaint and demand compensation that is proportionate to your case.

If you are looking for £400 as compensation, state so in writing, if the sum is slightly higher, let's assume £600, specify that particular sum in the complaint / demand.

Alternatively, yes, you can pursue the ADR route and obtain the compensation you are legally entitled to.

Engaging a law firm to act in your behalf would cost at least £300 to £1000.

Thank you.