UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

IThe man who lives in the flat below me smokes cigars. I

IThe man who lives in the flat below me smokes cigars. I have lived above him and his wife for 15 years. WE have been really good neghbours until a few month ago. A cuople of days after the last very very hot weekend we had in July I started getting very strong smell of smoke from downstairs. There are 6 flats in the block and he is the only smoker. I told them in September and overnight the wife of the smoker turned on me. I have tried to stop the smoke coming in had a builder and plumber in to try solve the problem. I have contacted the Counci and my when the smoke is so bad I cant stay in my home. If I am home I am living and sleeoimg in the lounge with windows wide open no heating on. Slept in the bath and car. I have written a polite letter saying it is noones fault except the building but they have just ignored me.I am being punished in my own home whilst the law says they can do as they please in their home. I am 73 years old and the last years of my life are a nightmare. Can you help?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: Apart from telling them and wrighting to them no.
JA: Where is the flat located?
Customer: Harrogate
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have

I am sorry to hear this.

What do you wish to ask about this please?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I want to know what rights u have and how it can be resolved. I am seeking medical advice I have been proscribed anti depressants and I have smock coming into my flat between 3/5 hours day and night. Can I sell my propwrty

Yes, you may try and sell your property but you would need to disclose the dispute with the neighbour.

If you get a buyer who smokes, they may not worry about the dispute.

You may get a solicitor to write them a letter saying the smoke is interfering with your right of enjoyment of your property and is a nuisance to you. They may stop, if they do not, you may apply to the courts for an order making them stop smoking or taking measures to prevent the smoke coming into your property.

Please click on 5 stars

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
What will be the treat cost can we do this on the laptop

Please click on 5 stars for the answers given. We may then continue the dialogue.