JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

I am owed a sum of money by two local authorities as part of

I am owed a sum of money by two local authorities as part of a debt that was outstanding when my company went into liquidation in December 2016. Although the company has been liquidated, the debts were legally assigned to me as an ex-director in October 2018, and I have been trying to recover the money ever since. My attempts have been resisted by either prolonged procrastination or simply a failure to respond to my correspondence.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: The two authorities concerned are Leicestershire CC and Northampton CC. I live in Leicestershire.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: In LCC's case, I have been emailing the contacts I had when in business. Part of the debt was self invoiced and they have paid the outstanding amount established on that contract. I have submitted invoices for the unpaid part on two occasions now to comply with their criteria and these were finally returned to me with the note that I had not been set up as a supplier on their system. I have responded by telling them that this was their problem, not mine and that if they did not pay me by this week I would take legal action. In Northamptonshire's case, the ledger shows £42K of self invoiced debt and whilst they have promised to send details of their payments in a form that I can reconcile with my records, nothing has been forthcoming for several months. I have a long trail of emails but no action to date.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My company was a Care Provider and kept detailed records of the work completed under all contracts. However in Northamptonshire's case whilst I still have these records, in the case of the self invoicing work the remittance advices we were sent were meaningless as they did not refer to original documents making reconciliation virtually impossible. In Leicestershire's case the outstanding debt is represented in a series of invoices amounting to just under £2.5K.

Hello, this is Jim and I am a dual-qualified lawyer (UK and Republic of Ireland) and happy to help you today.

Have you considered issuing a claim against both Local Authorities?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Yes I Have although the "MoneyClaim Online" website states that claims cannot be made against government bodies - would this not include Local Authorities?

they are public bodies so would be excluded - you would need to deal with it via the paper method, form N1 (attached).

Before issuing court proceedings though a letter before claim is required. Was one sent? If not, this need to be done - pre-action conduct is taken seriously by the courts given that litigation is seen as a last resort by the court.

It looks like you clicked the call button - apologies I can’t take a call at the moment. If no one calls you then you will not be charged for it - an "authorisation" has been made for payment, that's all. However, the call request is open to all experts - if you want to cancel the call then please send an email to [email protected]. I can continue with the question online if that suits?