How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 7241
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

Were subletting a section of property and as agreed in the

Customer Question

Hi were subletting a section of property and as agreed in the lease we should be able to gain access to back of house at all times. However the landlord has had a lock installed on a door so we cant gain access and is also now blocking a fire exit. Is this a breach of contract and should we be able to vacate the premises without recourse?
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Lytham, uk
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: We have emailed the landlord and already asked to give a notice but they haven't accepted it.
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The landlord doesn't have a copy of the signed lease, however on the lease there was a break clause allowing us to give 4 weeks notice at any point after the 6 months is up.
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 7 months ago.


You may point these two issues out and inform your landlord that unless they are rectified in the next say 24 hours, you will treat the tenancy agreement as repudiated by them.

You may also complain to your local authority about the fact that the fire exit has been blocked off as that is a serious breach of the law.

May I help further?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
That's great, if they dont reply and dont unblock the door how do we go about terminating the contract? Do we need some kind of written confirmation or legal document to say it's been a repudiatory breach? Thanks
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 7 months ago.

You should inform them that you will deem the contract to be terminated on the basis of repudiatory breach, please see here for further information:

Please click on 5 stars