How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SolicitorRM Your Own Question
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4049
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
Type Your Law Question Here...
SolicitorRM is online now

I am self employed and carried out work for a customer at

This answer was rated:

Good afternoon
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I am self employed and carried out work for a customer at there request. I test drove the car and felt that the clutch did not need replacing and advices my customer but they insisted that they needed a new one. I carried the job out and it was agreed that they would pay a few days afterwards. I have received no funds and they have said that I did not fit the new clutch. I have produced all paperwork for the clutch and have the old one for them to look at. They have taken the car to another garage for a second opinion, which I did ask where the car had been taken to but they said they did not have to tell me.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I have offered to have the parts tested under warranty which they are saying I will not fix there car as they have a burning smell from the clutch i am in the uk
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: we sent a letter saying that we would take to the small claims court unless they could provide us with evidence of a fault with the clutch that I fitted. I have responded to her emails sending copy of invoices, a statement from the company the parts where purchased. A copy of the amount comping out of the bank account and a screen shoot of the company computer showing the invoices paid. i have road tested the car since as well
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that’s it

Hi thank you for your enquiry and patience. I am reviewing your question now

If you have evidence of the work being done and the cost of the parts and the labour and copy of your letter of claim that warned her of the claim then as long as the notice period that you gave them in the letter was at least 14 days and it has passed, you can pursue them by filing Claim Form N1, attaching your particulars of claim and the supporting evidence. You send this claim package to the County Court Money Claims Centre whose address will be on the Claim form N1. You should also download Fom X50 which tells you the fee payable for the value you will be claiming. Your customer may defend the claim and counterclaim that you have not carried out a good job relying on the Consumer Rights Act 2015 however if you can show that you exercised reasonable care and skill you will be ok. they cannot keep the identity of the alternative garage a secret forever because if they are relying on their evidence for their counterclaim against you then they will have to produce the garage's opinion with their defence and counterclaim and this will be served on you. I hope this helps and I would be grateful for your rating at your earliest convenience by clicking on the row of stars at the top. All the best

SolicitorRM and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you very much for you advice. Have a good day

You are welcome. thank you too for your rating.