12826847

I have a question about drug possession law in the UK

Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: England
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I’m worried I might have left a drug wrap in a hotel room and am concerned about whether I can be charged with possession..
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: So.. I had taken coke in the hotel room with a friend - we think we took everything away with us but I’m worried we might have forgotten a wrap/bag..
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
My friend brought the stuff to the hotel with her - anything left behind would have been empty, although I know that trace amounts can still give rise to a possession issue.. but in this case neither of us are actually still in possession, surely(?) I would be really grateful if could please clarify the position for me....

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is Jo C, I’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Is there any reason that you think the hotel may have found this?

Will they report it?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hi Jo
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I don’t know if they’ve found anything.. and I don’t know whether they’d report it...
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
The police have my finger prints from a previous alleged offence that the prosecution was dropped on..

Thanks for the information

They could make a report but it isn’t in their interests to do so really.

If they do then the police could quite easily find you and could find traces although I doubt they would bother. If they do, then they can prove the substance from traces but it is a lot harder.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
So does this mean that the wrapper by itself in the hotel isn’t a concern? - and that it’s more the case that the police might come and have a look at me separately?

The hotel have no power. Unless they report it to the police it matters not.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Sorry, I guess I mean, do I have a possession issue based on the wrapper alone, if the police did become involved(??)
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Rather.. is it possible to have a ‘historic possession’ offence?

No, but if they can show traces ten you were in possession. Yes, possession can be historic. I doubt they would go to that amount of trouble though.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
How historic.....

There is no time limit.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
But in my case, based on the potentially discarded wrapper, there’s no obvious possession issue unless the police come find me and detect traces?

No, there is clearly a possession issue.

The issue is whether they would bother to try to prove the traces are of drugs