JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

Since leaving my restaurant in 2015. I started to run a

Since leaving my restaurant in 2015. I started to run a small business standing at events running bars with a friend for the last 4 years, although we have been putting through our own returns. As I had the infrastructure, my colleague said she would take on the admin side including setting up the email address. Security settings were all her details. Unfortunately she has decided she no longer wants to continue together and has locked me out of accessing the mail which contain our clients details and applications. Do I have any legal stance? the business only turns over approximately £25K a year. Regards
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Warwickshire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have asked on several occasions to reset the password ***** the emails as this has been changed. Also to meet and discuss separating the events equally and amicably. She is now ignoring my calls and texts and emails and informs me she is going on holiday tomorrow. I did find out a couple of weeks ago that we had been offered a long standing contract weekly with one of our clients which she omitted to tell me she had completed the membership contract
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: As the email which was set up was a microsoft account one I understand which may be linked to her private account is there anyway I have a legal right to access this?

Hello, this is Jim and I am a dual-qualified lawyer (UK and Republic of Ireland) and happy to help you this evening.

This sounds like a partnership to me, even if nothing was written in to a contract, so you have a right to access the email. You could do this with an injunction. A letter/email needs to be sent to her to threaten an injunction unless she provides the access. Do you have her email address or postal address?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi ***** is still using the business account which is not a paid domain account. Just one we agreed to set up.
***@******.*** asking with her own private one.

Thanks, ***** ***** a law question or an IT one?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It affects the business so Im not sure?

Your business partner (or ex business partner) is blocking you from accessing it? An injunction can be applied for to ensure you have the access - a cease and desist letter should be sent to her first (one can be downloaded from the Law Depot website, which is http://www.lawdepot.co.uk). This is usually required first so that if you do have to apply for an injunction then the court can see that you have made an attempt at warning her and giving her notice that a civil injunction would be applied for unless she allows you access within say 7 days.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
thankyou for your help. much appreciated

My pleasure, I hope this helps – if you can please give a positive rating by clicking 5 stars (at the top of your screen), I can answer any follow up questions at no extra charge and I will be credited for helping you today.

Many thanks,

Jim