Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I rent a residential property through an agency. I haven’t

Customer Question

I rent a residential property through an agency. I haven’t signed the agreement. Am I legally bound by the terms in the agreement even though I haven’t signed it?
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Cheshire
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Well I need to move into the property because I’m splitting up with my partner. I’ve advised the agency of my situation. They have said there would be a redemption fee of £7,600 for potential loss of profit. The agency are in effect the tenants and they sub tenant the property. It’s a scheme called guaranteed rent. They charge the sub tenant £1,380 per month and pay me £1,000. The sub tenant is on a rolling month contract. Hope that makes sense!
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The guaranteed rent scheme is over a period of 3 years. I’ve been with the agency since November 2018.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 7 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

How come you moved in if you didn’t sign an agreement ?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi I’m actually the landlord. Things at home deteriorate very quickly, I was so consumed by that I forgot about the agreement. Stupid I know!

What does your agency agreemen say about termination please?