How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jeremy Aldermartin Your Own Question
Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 5487
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jeremy Aldermartin is online now

Managing agents of my daughter's leasehold flat(150 years)

This answer was rated:

managing agents of my daughter's leasehold flat(150 years) do not carry out improvements
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No - I'm merely enquiring how to proceed. When my daughter moved in she paid 2700 p.s pounds for maintenance of that particular year. It has now reverted to 1600 pounds. The interior is shabby - as is the carpet in the lift- chewing gum and dirt ground into the surface. The communial l area is not very big - garages out the back have rusty doors - and they have not made good a opening in the plaster which was to monitor structural movement. The ground floor flat is empty (I think intentionally) which is badly neglected and gives a slum-like appearance to the block and thereby reducing the value
JA: Where is the leasehold located?
Customer: Brighton
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My daughter is a relatively new tenant and doesn't want to cause a stir - I would just like to know how to proceed. The agents write long-winded correspondence reminding the tenants of their obligations -

Hi thank you for your message, well the first thing would be to make a complaint to the managing agents. That said, ultimately if the managing agent is not maintaining the common areas on behalf of the leaseholders then she can take legal against the managing agent to enforce the terms of the lease. A first step though would be to make a complaint to the managing agent and make inquiries about repairs. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Jeremy Aldermartin and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you