How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 69149
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I need help with my previous work Assistant: Where are you?

This answer was rated:

I need help with my previous work
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Eastbourne
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: none. As I received an email that I need to refound the amount of 1060
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: yeah. So basically I was employed at The Bevern Trust in Barcombe Lewis and I received my last payment on 20-12-2019 the amount of 876 pound but I don’t get. Why do I need to repay those money as long as I was on a period probation contract

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yeah sure

So are they saying you were overpaid by them?

Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
hey there
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is there any chance to get an answer or help ?

Yes of course but I am still waiting on a reply to my original question above please

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No. It’s the HR from my previous work place
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Basically I’ve been in annual leave for 1 week (3 working days) and when I came back. I resigned. And she sent me a confirmation email that she accept my resignation but I need to pay back 62 hours . Without any explanation.

Thank you. So what are these 62 hours related to? Did you take more holidays than what you had accrued?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No not at all only those 3 days and that’s it
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The rules in that place are no really legal from my point of view.
But this is not right o be hones

Ok thanks. You need to press her for more information on why that money was withheld and state that unless she can provide genuine proof of what it was for and that it was allowed, you will take it further and pursue her to recover it.

You can do that for free in the Employment Tribunal if needed. Before a person can make a claim in the employment tribunal, they would be required to participate in mandatory early conciliation through the Advisory Conciliation and Arbitration Service (ACAS).

The purpose of this process is to allow ACAS to mediate between the claimant and respondent to agree on an out of court settlement in order to avoid the need for legal action in tribunal. The respondent does not have to engage in these discussions, or if they do and the talks are unsuccessful, the claimant will be issued with a certificate allowing them to make a claim.

However, if a settlement is reached, the claimant would agree not to proceed with the claim in return for the agreed financial settlement. Other terms can also be agreed as part of the settlement, such as an agreed reference.

To initiate the conciliation procedure ACAS can be contacted online by filling in the following form (, or by phone on 0300(###) ###-####

If the conciliation process was not successful and you then wanted to make a formal claim in tribunal, you can do so here:

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you

All the best