F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

I own a freehold property (UK) There block is made up of 4

Hi, I own a freehold property (UK) There block is made up of 4 two bed apartments, I want to convert each apartment to leasehold. Are there to your knowledge any financial issues to bare in mind?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No not yet, just investigating the viability. I want to initially hold the leases in my name then eventually sell each one over the next few years
JA: Where is the freehold located?
Customer: Gloucester
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Only I own the property out right in as much as there are no mortgages in place

The biggest financial issue here believe it or not is going to be the solicitors costs because this is very specialised, it isn’t quick, and it isn’t for the fainthearted.

Don’t be at all surprised if you get quoted 10 grand for doing it. Shop around.

You are going to need land registry compliant building plans and don’t be at all surprised if that’s a couple of thousand pounds also. Not for the fainthearted.

Otherwise it is quite straightforward.

You need to decide what the ground rent is going to be, what the service charge is going to be and what you are going to do with the freehold and whether you are going to have a management company. Those practicalities can then be incorporated into the leases.

Decide also whether you want the freehold to be owned by the leaseholders. Quite common.

Can I clarify anything else for you?

I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

Please take a moment to look at the top right-hand corner of the page and rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen.

You may need to login again to use the rating service. Although it says "rate to finish" it doesn't close the thread and we can still exchange emails.

It's important that you use the rating service because that gives me credit.

It doesn't just give me a pat on the head! It's what gets me paid!!

There is also an experts incentive scheme whereby the more 5 star ratings I get I do actually get a pat on the head!

All you need to do is press Submit.

If you still need any points clarifying, I will still reply because the thread does not close.

Best wishes.

FES

F E Smith, Advocate
Experience: I have been practising for 30 years.