How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ReadyLaw Your Own Question
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1836
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
Type Your Law Question Here...
ReadyLaw is online now

I split with my partner last year and he borrowed money me

This answer was rated:

I split with my partner last year and he borrowed money me but I when transfer to his account I put what it was for like paying ex wife off etc can I still take him to court to get this money back because it doesn't say what it was for on my account but on his so can and is it worth while getting a solicitor involved to get this information off him so I can go to court to get the£8000 he owes me? Thanks Deborah
Assistant: The Expert's answer will cost $10 to $100, depending on the issue type and time to respond. You'll see the exact amount on the next page and can decide then. It's way less expensive and more convenient than any face-to-face visit. What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No not yet don't know if I have any chance of getting it back because there was no agreement or contract sign just my prof that when it was sent to his back what the money had been transferred for like new kitchen/ ex wife Rajwinder?
Assistant: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: Derbyshire
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thank you

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Does he have any money?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
he owns his own company and house but both have mortgages on them.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Works a lot cash in hand and doesn't put that much through his books but he is on about£30,000 a year.

Thanks for the information.

This is a small claims court sum so it would be quick and easy to sue. You can issue here

however, you need to warn the debtor of your intention to sue by sending a letter before action. This doesn't need to be formal but you must write or email giving them 28 days to pay or resume payment and making clear that in default you will sue.

That will protect you from costs.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can't afford it at the moment sorry would rather just have a yes or no answer if it worth my time to even try and claim it back?

I'm not sure what you mean?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I need to send a letter to him to say that I am taking him to court first then go to small claims court to file for a date? Have I got a leg to stand on though because I have no contract or signature but have prof on his bank statements if I can get them?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Don't want to go to court after a four year battle with my divorce if I have no way of winning or any claim?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Are you still there?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No message is fine thank you?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
If you can't answer my question I would like my money back please not paying five ponds and got no answer to my question!! Not a happy customer

I have answered.

You are responding to an answer?????


Are you getting this message????

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
now it has come through thank you!

You were responding to it above?

Good day, your question has been forwarded to me to see if I may be able to assist.
I noticed you gave a negative feedback To the answer that was previously given. May I ask whether you need something to be further clarified?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I need to know legally have I got a chance of getting my money back with his bank statement and also by messages he has sent me? Is there any point or am I wasting my time taking this to court?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Have you got an answer for me?
Please be patient. Remember you are speaking to a human being and there may be delays in response times due to typing. Additionally, this is an email service, so there may be delays responding to your email.
for the amount of money involved it does make sense pursuing it. Particularly as you may claim yourself and doing this online.Contracts can be both oral as well as in writing. So, you do not have to rely solely on what is in writing on the bank statement. You may be able to say in the court document that you and he had entered into a written and oral agreement for you to loan him this money. And that he agreed to repay you on a specific date.The fact that in your transfer you stated that it was for payment of someone does not detract from their being in existence a contract.I do hope this clarifies things for you.Kindly let me know if if may be of further assistance.Kindly indicate your acceptance of the answer given by clicking on the stars at the top of the page,Best wishes
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1836
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
ReadyLaw and 7 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you

You are welcome