How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ross Miller Your Own Question
Ross Miller
Ross Miller,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1770
Experience:  Director (Litigation and Mediation) at Hilltop Solutions
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ross Miller is online now

My neighbours builders have damaged parts of the paintwork

This answer was rated:

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: My neighbours builders have damaged parts of the paintwork on my house where the 2 properties adjoin. Neighbour has offered to try and find colour match and fill in, I doubt this will work and think the house will probably need repainting. Similarly, he now wants to go ahead with laying new pathway and breaking up the old one will probably damage my pathway in the process. My pathway is old and cracked but perfectly servicable, if he makes it worse or unsafe what can I reasonably expect. It is relatively small but very visible areas of paint that have been damaged - what is reasonable/legal expectation? Hope that all makes sense. Thank you
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No steps, except spoken to neighbour about issues.
JA: Where is the house located?
Customer: England
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hello my name is ***** ***** I can help with this matter.

Thank you for the information, I would advise allowing the neighbours to remedy the situation in the first place and hope that you are satisfied with the result. However, if you are not and furthermore if they cause additional damage to your property then you would be entitled to make a claim against them for any repairs required. However, before you look at expensive legal action, you should always try and come to a resolution between yourselves. The courts want to see that every effort has been made prior to any legal proceedings being initiated. However, if your property is damaged then you can raise a simple or ordinary procedure against them to have the costs of the repairs met. Before you commence any action you should write to them and inform them of your intention to take action and hope that they will remedy the situation without the need of court intervention.

I hope this information has helped. You can find a local solicitor who deals with this on the law society webpage which is;

I would be obliged if you could Click to “accept” the answer and leave me a 5 star rating (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions free of charge.

Kind regards


Ross Miller and other Law Specialists are ready to help you