12826847

My friend gave a witness statement at the police station but

Hello, my friend gave a witness statement at the police station but the police officer did not get them to sign the statement and disbelieved/interrupted them when they were giving a statement and suggested they were lying. What does this mean? Also, this statement that was given would be to help the defense and not the victim.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is Jo C, I’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

can you give me all the background to why they made statement and relevant infor - thanks

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
There is an ongoing allegation toward myself of ABH that occurred in October 2019 where my friend was in the back seat of my car when then the incident happened and I informed the officer that she would be happy to give a witness statement.

Furthermore, following my voluntary account, if self-defence, I received a call from the same OIC asking me to come to the station and be spoken too on an immediate basis, I challenged the need for me to attend the station and he informed me I was going to be arrested, but did not tell me what for over the phone, he instructed me to hand myself in or later face having a warrant out for my arrest.

Having said that, I then agreed in attending the station to speak with the OIC, upon arriving I question my arrest and why I was being questioned today, the OIC then informed me I am not being arrested, I am being questioned on yet another voluntary basis to investigate perverting the course of justice.

He told me I am free to leave at anytime, and then instructed me to go out of the station and get coffee and return in 45minites where I would later be questioned and interviewed on a voluntary basis.

I am exercising my rights to refuse any further voluntary interviews in relation to the ongoing case of assault, this is because I have done all I can to assist in the officers investigations, I gave my account along with whiteness information where my friend who was with me at the time and date of alleged.

My friend informed me that the same officer that interviewed me spoke to her and during the witness statement procedure he disbelieved her account and suggested that I had manipulated Kim into giving the police a false whiteness statement, he then let her leave the station only then to call her back and try to get social services involved? she was insulted by this situation and informed the OIC not to proceed with any form of help service as she is a fully capable person, the OIC must have assumed she was a vulnerable person, she is not.

She does have learning difficulties, which means she cannot write or read effectively, she has no neurological complications and has been an independent adult for 41 years. she has always been a working person and lived alone in private rental apartments throughout her life.

After my friend justified her independence, the OIC decided to cancel the social services referral, the OIC thanked my friend for her time and told her she was free to leave, and that would be all that is needed from her.

Moreover,

It is worth mentioning that during my friends witness account the OIC did not get her to sign the statement and made a firm suggestion that she must refrain from making contact with myself during the first ten minutes of leaving the station after giving her witness statement, she asked why that was? The OIC said that he wanted to contact me before she does, although he had no legal obligations to contact me before her.

Thank you again
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
?

I'm not sure I have your question correctly?

If they were suggesting they were lying then that probably means they think they are lying.

Police officers do commonly take that view.

If you ask other questions I will be able to offer more.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Are police aloud to assume that my witness was lying ? And why would they not take her signature for the statement? Could this be used in court as evidence?

Oh I see. Well, yes, they are entitled to form a view. One cannot legislate against human reactions. Part of their job is to assess credibility. As far as the signature goes, that would probably just be that they forgot. They wouldn't deter a signature as it would serve no purpose. Yes, her allegation could be used.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you, then do I have the right to refuse a voluntary interview for questioning ? I have no obligation to attend any voluntary interview if I am correct?

You do but if you don't go then they will only come and arrest you. It doesn't really make any sense not to be interviewed.

What do they want to interview you about?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Perverting the course of justice, they cannot arrest unless they have reasonable grounds to do so.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I can exercise my rights not to assist in their investigations as I have already given my account for an alleged abh which occurred in October 2019.

Oh I see.

Do you have a solicitor ? This is serious.

Where are you in the country roughly?

Don't just go and surrender.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
How do you assume it is serious ? I have already contacted my solicitor but they are yet to respond to me.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I am in the uk
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Kent

Ok, if you have a solicitor anyway that resolves that matter.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
And the officer tried suggesting I was not aloud to have my solicitor represent me ? Why would that be
Customer: replied 15 days ago.

He would probably have said you didn't need to which is true but you should have representation.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Well he is not aloud to dictate who I have represent me surly ?

No, he can't stop you.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
you mentioned that due to the fact I have a solicitor that this resolves the matter? would you kindly elaborate on why you think this is?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
you mentioned that due to the fact I have a solicitor that this resolves the matter? would you kindly elaborate on why you think this is? thank you

The matter of you having a solicitor or not is resolved by you having one.

Delighted to continue with this but please rate my answer.

Experience: Over 5 years in practice