Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

I am the executor of my mums will and she passed away on 4th

I am the executor of my mums will and she passed away on 4th January in a local nursing home. My dad is still living in the same nursing home. She wanted her money to go to her 4 grandsons and she put She put that in her will 2 years ago before my dad joined her in the nursing home. Dad has to pay towards his care as his savings were over the 23.250 threshold. They are now below that but they are over the 14000 threshold for paying a part contribution. Mums money was in a joint account with dad and dad has a seperate account. Do I split the money in the joint account in half and give mum Mums to the boys or does that money now go on top of dads money and does it have to go to pay his care ?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am in Leeds West Yorkshire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have registered the death and been into the bank to notify them of my mums death. I have organised her funeral.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: You could say I have power of attorney and so does my brother for both mum and dad but that ended for mum when she passed away.

Good morning. I will assist with your question - be aware this is an email not chat service therefore i maybe delayed in replying.

just to clarify -

are you the only executor?

are there other beneficiaries?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Good morning thank you
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My brother is the other executor and he is aware of the details of the will. He is in the same mind set as me, wanting to do what my mum requested in the will but not wanting to give the money to the grand kids only for the council to come and clame it back to pay towards his care.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
There are no other beneficiaries

I feel this as more about care fees then the administration of the will and therefore it is outside my sphere of expertise and I am therefore going to opt out for another expert to consider.

The thread is now open to all experts.

Please do not reply as a matter of course or courtesy, as it means that the question thread comes back into my inbox.

An expert with the necessary expertise will reply when they are online.

Hi thank you for your message, any money in the joint account passed to your father upon your mother’s death and therefore would count towards your fathers assets.
I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience: Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney