C.Cornel
C.Cornel, Lawyer
Experience:  Senior Lawyer at Legal Group
105439980

I need to know if my Landlord can change the tenancy

I need to know if my Landlord can change the tenancy agreement to six months from twelve months
JA: What steps has your landlord taken so far? Have they prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: He has informed me in a text of his intention
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: In Canton in Cardiff
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Can't think of anything

Hello.

The general answer would be no, unless your tenancy agreement would allow such a change.

Additionally, in accordance with the law, any amendment to a tenancy agreement has to have your written signature and agreement.

Without such a legal procedure, the landlord can't modify the terms of the agreement.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My current agreement ends Feb 2 so he intends going over to 6 month agreement from then

If the agreement ends, it means that the agreement no longer produces any legal effects and you could reach a new agreement with different terms, thus, the duration of the contract can be changed and it would be lawful to do so.