How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask plclegal Your Own Question
plclegal, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6631
Experience:  Barrister at law
Type Your Law Question Here...
plclegal is online now

10 years ago i went through divorce,lost my job of 20 plus

This answer was rated:

10 years ago i went through divorce,lost my job of 20 plus years and became homeless and slipped into severe depression. I had no bank account no money but did have 35%share of the family home upon sale ex wife did not wish to sell,paid me 5k in to a friends account,i had no legal advice at the time and thought i was at my end i was not in my right mind to make such a life changing decision at that moment in time my share was around 100k have i any recourse.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No nothing i don't know where i stand
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: No i have not.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I kept up with maintenance payments missing only once including mortgage, i was the only breadwinner for 20 years tried to do everything that was right.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I’ll do my best to assist you today.

Please bear in mind as this is an email service and not live chat I may not respond immediately.

I'm just reviewing your question.

Did you have a financial order from the court as part of a divorce?

plclegal and 4 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No everything i did was voluntary i had no legal representation my ex wife had legal

OK. Thanks for the call request - I'll call around 1.15pm as I have another 2 calls to make before I get to yours. I hope that this is convenient for you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you

Calling now - sorry it's been busy!

Good to talk to you.

So the steps were:

1. Find the court papers

2. Try mediation to find a solution

3. Apply to enforce the order for sale - through general enforcement to start with:

A general enforcement application triggers a process requiring the debtor to attend court, produce documents and answer questions about his or her finances with the objective of enabling the court to decide which enforcement method is most appropriate. The court is then able to choose from a “menu” of certain enforcement methods."

You can apply here: