How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 78029
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

If a person has made a signed statement alledging a serious

This answer was rated:

If a person has made a signed statement alledging a serious crime which later proves to be malicious has he/she committed perjury?
JA: Have perjury charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?
Customer: I doubt the police will take any action so can I
JA: Where did the perjury occur?
Customer: Heckington Lincolnshire
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thats it thank you

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I want to prosecute 2 people for perjury, can I lay an information at magistrates court

Give me 10 mins to type a response.

Thanks for the information and the time.

I am sorry but I cannot give you good news then. I’m afraid you are in difficulty here.

As a matter of principle, making a false report is perverting the course of justice. Giving false evidence on material facts is perjury.

However, you cannot just report that. Prosecutions against public justice are matters for the authorities. They will not act upon your report alone.

To be fair, they don’t bring these prosecutions nearly often enough. Sometimes they give them wasting police time fines but not often enough.

You can ask the police to consider a prosecution and judically review any decision to refuse but that is expensive.

Alternatively you can consider a private prosecution but again that is expensive and you have the burden of proof.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.


Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It is a private prosecution I am looking at, I will be requesting all the evidence gathered by the Police which I believe I am entitled to

You can do that but private prosecutions are quite expensive and hard to do.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I also am making an official complaint against the Police and will be seeking damages. As I have paid £44 for a phone call would you be kind enough to call me so I can relate to you the incident, texting will take me forever

I can call but not until about 16.30hrs. Is that ok?

I don't think you have been charged though. I haven't filled out a report on it.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
16.30 is ok
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have taken out 2 private prosecutions before, one for careless driving and one for offences relating to drink driving. They were both successfully prosecuted and cost me very little

This will not. This is an indictable only offence. You will need to appoint a disclosure officer and pay the heavy costs of a crown court prosecution. This will not be cheap.