Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Experience:  I have 20 years of experience as a solicitor in litigation and other areas
12609314

Out of the blue, I was contacted by the pension scheme

Hello. Out of the blue, I was contacted by the pension scheme administrator of a UK employer I left, after 8 years, in 1992. They asked if "I believe that I retain benefits under" my old employers scheme. I had no recollection of being in the scheme but they stated that I was in the scheme but that their "records indicate that...your benefits were either transferred from the scheme into another personal or company pension scheme or benefits were secured for you at retirement under an annuity policy with an insurance company." After a back and forth of correspondence, we are at the position where I can find no proof of entitlement and they can find no proof of transfer, and they are saying that they need evidence of benefits to proceed further. Can you advise as to my legal position and how I might proceed with my next letter to them?
JA: What is your current age and retirement age?
Customer: My current age is 62. I am already retired.
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am 62 and retired.

Good evening

I would like to know what makes them think that they can place total reliance on the note in their records?

I would also like to know how you are supposed to prove a negative, namely that you have not received any benefit?

You should make an official complaint using their complaint system but if that does not work there is the Pensions Ombudsman who you can complain to online.

If there are any further points kindly respond I will be happy to respond.

Otherwise please either accept or rate my answer on the system so I get credit for my time.

Best wishes

Michael