How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 7108
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

Hope you can assist with the following or provide a contact

This answer was rated:

Hi, hope you can assist with the following or provide a contact of who can assistI’m a UK resident (British Passport holder) and originally from SA. I would like to travel from London to South Africa in February. I thought that I could just use my British passport as my South African passport expired August last year.I know understand that as a South African I need to use a South African passport to enter South Africa. Applying for a South African passport from the UK takes up to 5 months.Please let me know if there is a way for e to travel to South Africa in February?Thank you,
Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: Hi, I have not yet filed any paperwork but researched the above. Did not look like there is any way. I live in the UK, London. I’m a British citizen. Also, still have South African citizenship.
Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: Not yet, I found out about this this morning.
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nothing else. Thanks.


You may apply to renounce your SA citizenship. If you were a SA citizen by birth or descent, you would have the right to permanent residency in SA, even if you renounce SA citizenship.

See here:

Once you renounce your SA citizenship, you will be free to travel to SA with your British Passport.

All the best. Please click on 5 stars

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks for your response. I had a look and it seems that according to their website, the process usually takes more than 12 months. I can try to get it done early February, however seems unlikely that I will be able to travel to South Africa in February.Please let me know if you have another suggestion?

I am afraid there is no other solution other than to check with South Africa House whether you are okay to travel to SA with your British Passport once you have submitted your renunciation papers.

Please click on 5 stars

This question is still open. Please click on 5 stars so that I may close it.

UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you