How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask INC Law Your Own Question
INC Law, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 15060
Experience:  LL.B, LPC, LL.M, Pg.Dip, Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
Type Your Law Question Here...
INC Law is online now

My property is on a private road shared with 4 other

This answer was rated:

My property is on a private road shared with 4 other dwellings to access our properties as set out in the deeds. As frontagers the agreement states that we have to pay one quarter of the costs for maintenance.One of these frontagers is a council owned depot for local gardening in the area. They are looking to sell the land to a developer to build 75 houses which in their plan shows access via the private road.This road is very narrow and steep and only suitable for one car and not suitable to be classed as a highway and very difficult to widen. The amount of traffic from a housing development using the road would cause us access issues.There would also be another implication with trucks using the road when they come to building the development.Do us as frontagers of this road have any rights to prevent this development using the road as an access?


Thank you for your query.

Has planning for the development been granted?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No the council are trying to sell the land to a developer

Ok. You would have an opportunity to object to any planning application that has been submitted and demand that they address the access issue.

Other than this, if access is granted to the site on their deeds, unfortunately there is little else you will be able to do.

I am sorry if this was not the answer you were expecting.

I hope this answers your questions. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Many thanks

INC Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you