INC Law
INC Law, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, LPC, LL.M, Pg.Dip, Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

My property is on a private road shared with 4 other

My property is on a private road shared with 4 other dwellings to access our properties as set out in the deeds. As frontagers the agreement states that we have to pay one quarter of the costs for maintenance.One of these frontagers is a council owned depot for local gardening in the area. They are looking to sell the land to a developer to build 75 houses which in their plan shows access via the private road.This road is very narrow and steep and only suitable for one car and not suitable to be classed as a highway and very difficult to widen. The amount of traffic from a housing development using the road would cause us access issues.There would also be another implication with trucks using the road when they come to building the development.Do us as frontagers of this road have any rights to prevent this development using the road as an access?

Thank you for your query.

Has planning for the development been granted?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
No the council are trying to sell the land to a developer

Ok. You would have an opportunity to object to any planning application that has been submitted and demand that they address the access issue.

Other than this, if access is granted to the site on their deeds, unfortunately there is little else you will be able to do.

I am sorry if this was not the answer you were expecting.

I hope this answers your questions. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.