How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anthony Chendo Your Own Question
Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1765
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
Type Your Law Question Here...
Anthony Chendo is online now

My landlord wants to make me pay for repairs caused by an

This answer was rated:

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: My landlord wants to make me pay for repairs caused by an overflowing sink. She admitted that it wasn't my fault and it was caused by a blockage, however i did not inform her in time and this caused it to leak to the flat downstairs.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: None so far
JA: Where is the flat located?
Customer: Luton
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Welcome to JA.

I will review your question and return to you to today.

Please note this is not a chat service therefore you may experience delays.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i got home at 8pm to find the carpets all damp, i cleaned my flat and got to her the next morning.

Thanks for your patience.

Please can you confirm the length of your tenancy agreement?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
its 6 months, i left a month early as the carpets smelt and this was the second time the leak occurred , nothing was done to repair it the first time, months later it reoccured . I was fed up and left stating i could not live in these bad conditions.

Thanks for the information.

Given you did not cause the damage i suggest you challenge the landlord's request because it is part of her obligation legally and probably contractually to repair these sort of damage in the property.

The law in question which supports my comment is the Defective Premises Act which states landlords must meet the costs of these sort of matters not caused by the tenant.

Do you understand what i have stated if yes i will proceed to the next step?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
please proceed

I suggest you contact the landlady and remind her of her contractual and legal obligations to repair and maintain the property. Further I suggest you state also that if she does not repair it you will file a complaint with the local council and the housing ombudsman.

I hope I have clarified the position if not please let me know.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
what about the fact that she states i caused the leak because i reported the issue in the morning as opposed to yesterday night at 8pm

The argument she seeks to rely on appears weak because the bot***** *****ne is the leak was not caused by your actions

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i left the property a month before the tenancy due to the overflowing sink re-occurring again and leaving unpleasant conditions. She does not want to return the deposit, am i entitled to leave early and get my deposit back?

Do you understand what i have stated, if not please not let me know.

Given this is a new query please rate the assistance to the initial query by clicking on the 5 stars button at the top of your screen as this will help improve the service provided in future. Once rated i will consider the second query at no further costs. Please do not open a new question once rated as i will answer the question on this thread.


Anthony Chendo and 4 other Law Specialists are ready to help you

Contractually you are not entitled to leave given you signed a tenancy agreement to stay in the property until the end date. However you have good grounds for vacating the property early given the health risks caused by the leak which appears should have been repaired by the Landlord.

Another point in your favor is if she did not protect the deposit using an independent scheme, she has broken the law and you can sue her for up to 3 times the deposit figure.

Please see the link below which gives a brief outline regarding the consequences where landlords fails to play by the rules.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
am i obliged to email her or can i get a solicitor to contact her on my behalf?

You don't need to a solicitor at this stage.

You don't need a solicitor at this stage