How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask INC Law Your Own Question
INC Law, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 15147
Experience:  LL.B, LPC, LL.M, Pg.Dip, Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
Type Your Law Question Here...
INC Law is online now

My partner and I are joint owners of our property. My

This answer was rated:

Hi, my partner and I are joint owners of our property. My partner wants to gift me his share. I split from my husband in 1992. I have no contact with him and as far as I'm aware he moved back to Ireland. If I own all of the property and I make a will, will that ensure that my husband who I split from 28 years ago cannot obtain a share of the house.
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No
Assistant: Where is the house located?
Customer: Plymouth
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Devon No


Thank you for your query. Have you and your estranged husband divorced?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No we never divorced. We married in Ireland and moved to the UK. I have no idea where he is.


It best if you apply for a divorce now, even if you do not know where he is. The Courts can still grant a Divorce.

If you deal with the property in your Will he should.nkt have a claim to it, however, to avoid any complications, you should divorce.

I hope this answers your questions. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

Many thanks

INC Law and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Many thanks

It's a pleasure.

Good luck