INC Law
INC Law, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, LPC, LL.M, Pg.Dip, Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

My partner and I are joint owners of our property. My

Hi, my partner and I are joint owners of our property. My partner wants to gift me his share. I split from my husband in 1992. I have no contact with him and as far as I'm aware he moved back to Ireland. If I own all of the property and I make a will, will that ensure that my husband who I split from 28 years ago cannot obtain a share of the house.
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No
Assistant: Where is the house located?
Customer: Plymouth
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Devon No

Thank you for your query. Have you and your estranged husband divorced?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No we never divorced. We married in Ireland and moved to the UK. I have no idea where he is.

It would.be best if you apply for a divorce now, even if you do not know where he is. The Courts can still grant a Divorce.

If you deal with the property in your Will he should.nkt have a claim to it, however, to avoid any complications, you should divorce.

I hope this answers your questions. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

It's a pleasure.

Good luck