Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

I wonna ask about cotizenship Assistant: Where are you? It

I wonna ask about cotizenship
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Lincoln
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I am from Latvia ,I have 3 children youngeste is born here.I live 10 years ,she has 7.I have settle down statues,she is not registered in Latvia.I wonna citizenship for her
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I wonna know how better I need to do how much its cost because Home ofice sais I beed do naturalisation for her bur when I reed informstion about all this I think she is eligible get citizenship without naturalization as she born here she don't havevpasoprt she live here all 7 years
Hi thank you for your message, did you have settled status when your daughter was born?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
No as Iam from Eu I didn't need I applied only because of Brexit 2019 november
Hi thank you for your message, I see and she was born in 2013?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
2012
Ok, that’s fine so your daughter has already automatically got British citizenship if the following apply she was born after 2006 which she was and the following applied to you or her other parent:
- you had citizenship of a country that was in the EU or the EEA at the time which is true because Latvia joined the EU in 2004
- you had lived in the UK
- you had had ‘indefinite leave to remain’ (ILR), ‘permanent residence status’, ‘right of abode’ or ‘right of re-admission’. In your case you would have permanent residence if you were from an EEA or EU country and had lived in the UK for 5 years and were working, studying, self-sufficient or looking for work here. You would not have needed to have applied for a permanent residence document to have permanent residence status.
Therefore, as I understand all these apply your daughter should automatically be a British citizen. You can therefore apply for a passport on her behalf or a letter confirming her status.
I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
But there is a problem when I call to Home office they said I need do naturalisation because Ia wasn't in England 5 years before she was born and there is no other options and I need pay 1012,but I didn't think that's really true,and you just now confirmed.Bu if they declined my application for citizenship
Hi thank you for your message, yes so if you were not in the UK for 5 years before she was born then you did not have permanent residence when she was born and therefore she does not automatically have British citizenship, provided the other parent does not meet the criteria either.
She would therefore need to get settled status under the EU scheme and then apply for citizenship. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
She can't get settled down statuss because she is not registered in Latvia and she don't have passport because all this registration goes trough person pasport is thee any other solutions
Hi thank you for your message, can she get citizenship in Latvia through your being Latvian?
Apologies, she can get settled status under the EU scheme on the basis that she is the child of an EU National. So she would in effect be applying on the basis that she is your daughter as an EU National not her own nationality. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I read article about all naturalisation Court says £1k child citizenship fee is unlawful

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/dec/19/high-court-says-uks-1012-child-citizenship-fee-is-unlawful

Sent via @updayUK
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thats means I need try apply her to settle down statuss
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
And I don't want that she has a Latvian citizenship
Hi thank you for your message, I am aware of the court case you refer too but its not yet been implemented by the home office and they have got permission to appeal. Therefore, you may be best waiting to see how the judgement is implemented.