Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

Good mornign, there was a seizure of cigarettes and alcohol

good mornign
JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: there was a seizure of cigarettes and alcohol at the border, and now they are asking me to pay to the tax, even though at that time i was explainig is for personall use and as gift, but officers were not convinced. I am trying to appeal to an independent officer, but am not sure what to do.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am from Slovakia and was travelling to uk with my friend
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: this was back in 2018
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: at the time of check the goods were seized they gave a ton of paperwork, and said the matter is closed.

Hello my name is Jamie and I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

How much were you trying to bring back?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I have documents
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
here is how much, but there were two of us
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I have sent them a letter statign our position
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
this is what I have written
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
At the time of checking at Border Control we were questioned
by officers as to the quantity purchased by me (Tomas Palovcik) and my friend (Branislav Semanko).
We both do not speak English and tried to explain with body language
that we do not speak English, but we have a friend who does and can call him.
This was denied by the officers and we continued to be questioned on that basis
of body and sign language.
We were trying to explain that the items are for me and my friend travelling
with me and for our family members in United Kingdom which was for them as a gift.
We are not sure if we understood each other well because of the language barrier.
I don’t understand why I was the only person put down as having the items as there were two of us travelling
and each of us had receipts to prove this and that it was purchased separately and purchased in the EU.
When searching now we found out there is no limit on the number of cigarettes you can bring, but there is a guide of
800 cigarettes per person. Each of us had 3000 cigarettes which is roughly 2.5 times over the guide.
All was for personal and our family members use as explained to officers on the day. We feel that we were not treated in a fair way,
as we explained above, we do not speak English, but we gave an option for an interpreter, which was denied, and we feel this made things very difficult
In terms of communication and explanation.
At the end we have willingly agreed to the goods being taken under the impression that the matter is closed,
and also, before leaving we have asked officers many times that this matter,
following the seizure of the goods, was closed?
We have understood them as the "matter is closed". Therefore, we didn’t follow this further.
The whole incident is hugely regretted by me and my friend personally
and our financial position does not allow us to pay this amount.
We are really not in a position to pay the asking total amount.

Kind Regards
Tomas Palovcik
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
any help an advantage in terms of even getting this penalty reduced as I dont have the funds for this
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
fisrt correspondense ever received to the address was in october 2019, the previous letter never arrived.

Do you smoke?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
yes

How many a day?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I do 20 a day estimate

So enough for 150 days.
What is it you want to know from me?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I want to dispute the penalty, with and independent officer, to do a review. as stated in the letter ihave sent them it was very difficult to communicate and convince officers on the day it was not intended for commercial use, because of the language barrier, where we gave an option to speak to someone to get this less convoluted.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
are you able to provide help with the letter or take this into your hands? Do we have a cnahnce of reducing this penalty atlreast? then costings related to this of course

Ok - we can't be instructed. You are an online only service.

You can contest the file.

The matter will then proceed to the Magistrates Court.

They will determine your Appeal and if necessary fine.

So appeal. Then it will be set down for a hearing.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.