Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

On 13 January we supposed to fly back into uk with an

Hello yes,on 13 January we supposed to fly back into uk with an company named Ryanair from Bucharest,the tickets were paid in advance from December with preferential seats and priority boarding which costs me 360 pounds,
Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: We live in UK
Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: Not yet
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes ,they refused us in the air port because they said you dont made the check in but yes i have done that because we got the boarding passes from Ryanair website and we passed the security checks with those boarding passes

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

What would you like to ask about this please?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
We lost the flight and yesterday they said we lost the money as well,and when we lost the flight the problems starts from then,money for hotel ,book another ticket from another company which was 650

So how much are you wanting to claim?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I lost because of them 670 pounds
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Plus 30 euros for the hotel
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
And another 100 euros for taxi because the flight with them supposed to be in southend airport and the other flight which was next day brought me to Heathrow Airport and i have to go to Southend to take my car from the airport parking

Many thanks for your patience. Can you please confirm when exactly you arrived at the boarding gate and what the ticket said about how many minutes before departure you had to be at the boarding gate?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
The flight was scheduled for departure at 21.20 and i was in the airport at 18.45,I have made the security checks with the police airport and after I went to the boarding gate ,staying in the queue another hour for boarding into the plane,when I reached the last check in guy he told me to wait because my boarding pass in not valid ,after another 10 minutes when everyone was finished,they turned onto me saying you hav lost this flight because there is no time to make another check in because this costs 55 euros,and if I don’t have any cash to pay they don’t have any card machines there and is no time for me and that’s it ,go and buy another ticket

and why was the voucher you had not valid, what was wrong with it?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
There was not voucher it was my ticket,my boarding pass ,the ticket was ok but they said my check in which I have made it online on their website is not valid,and I need another check in but is not time for another one

Did you find out why it was not valid, was it something you did wrong or an error at their end?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
They unchecked me out one before the flight because I made an phone call to Ryanair customer service ,and i asked the agent if we will need to change the flight date we have to call them or we have to go online,but they didn’t cancel the boarding passes at the same time and we haven’t changed the flight date and this puts us in error
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
If they cancelled the boarding passes in the same time when they cancelled the check in,we was realised straight away in the airport where is the problem and at that time it was enough time to solve the problem with the check ins,it was an miss understanding from us because they puts us in error,because we don’t know what we have to do

Ok thanks. Your rights will very much depend on who was at fault for all of this. If the boarding pass was cancelled by the airline at the airport and their failure to re-issue you with a new one in time meant you missed the flight, it would be their responsibility.

In the end, unless you can get them to agree to it and compensate you, you may have to make a claim against them. If a party wishes to pursue another for financial compensation arising out of a dispute between them, they can do so by making a claim in the civil courts. As legal action should ideally be used as a last resort, there are certain steps that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without having to involve lawyers or the courts. These can be summarised below and it is recommended the following procedure is followed to try and progress this matter further:

1. Reminder letter – if no informal reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the other party to voluntarily settle this matter.

2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but have been ignored, the other party must be sent a formal ‘letter before action’ asking them to resolve this amicably within a specified period of time, usually 7 to 14 days. They should be advised that if they fail to do contact you in order to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to pursue them for the compensation in question. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this matter without the need for legal action.

3. If they fail to pay or at least make contact to try and resolve this, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to www.moneyclaim.gov.uk. Once the claim form is completed a copy will be sent to the other side and they will have a limited time to defend it. Once they are aware that legal proceedings have commenced it may also force them to reconsider their position and perhaps prompt them to contact you to try and resolve this.

As a final tip, it is always advisable to keep copies of any correspondence sent and received as the courts would like to refer to it if it ever gets that far.

Does this answer your query?