Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

My neighbour is renovating their property. They wiped out my

Hi My neighbour is renovating their property. They wiped out my sky signal when their scaffolding went up. I contacted sky, they sent an engineer the engineer said due to the size / scale of the scaffolding they wouldn’t be able to move & re-gain the signal. I asked my neighbour to pay the monthly fee because I’m in a contract, aside from the inconvenience from (Oct-19 to to date) The neighbour has said its not his fault its his builders problem & if he did anything it would be a jester of good will he has no responsibility or liability to do anything
JA: What steps have been taken so far? Has any paperwork been prepared or filed?
Customer: Just want to understand if there is anything I can do & if my neighbour has any responsibility?
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: Watford, Hertfordshire
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Who is liable & what actions can I take (aside from the emails I have written to my neighbour). Also he doesn’t live in the property & I don’t have his address) its his elderly mother’s, he has power of attorney for her & no one is residing at the property while renovations are underway. The builder has confirmed there is a huge amount of metal going into the roof so this may cause a future problem getting any kind of signal. I’ve had to completely downgrade my sky contract from 1-2-20.

Hello my name is Jamie and I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

How much are you looking to claim?
I dont think you can claim more than £10,000 or so in damages from your neighbour

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
The Sky service was £82.99 per month. Oct-Dec. I couldn’t cancel the contract until end Jan because I’m in a contract & have been able to reduce Mthly feel now to £44.99
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
While this issue is relatively small the way the neighbour has responded causes concern given any other issues that may occur during the renovation which won’t finish until the middle of this year.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
This is about the loss & convenience of a service that I pay for, particularly over Xmas (there are 4 people living in the house, myself my daughter & two teen grandsons.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I have have done everything I can to find a resolution I have also helped him by allowing his builders to park on my drive way so he doesn’t have to pay for parking permits for them.

You need to write a letter, set out your losses and request a refund within 30 days or say you will go to Court. This is called a pre-action protocol letter of claim. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy. You must give 30 days warning before going to Court.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/form-n1-claim-form-cpr-part-7 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Yes thank you. Happy to provide a rating... assume that option comes up as I exit?

Yes, it should be there. If not, let me know

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Sorry one last question - should I be addressing any issues with my neighbour or speaking to his contractor directly?

Neighbour. Neighbour can counter sue contractor.

Does that clarify?