UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I'm a member of a crown bowling club that has been

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: Hello, I'm a member of a crown green bowling club that has been established around 12 years. The green is owned and financed by the local Parish Council. the members have paid fees which have mounted up over the years to over £2600 in the bank. These fees are for membership of local leagues and sundries like refreshments at matches. At the AGM a couple of days ago it resolved to divide and refund to bowlers who were members in the 2019 season. I objected to this, saying what about past members who have contributed to the balance over the previous years. I objected but was defeated. My question is, "Is this legal?"
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Chorley Lancashire England
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have asked the treasurer to hold fire until we check the legal position.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, thanks.

The short answer to your question is no, it is not illegal or yes, it is legal, provided that the resolution was properly passed and your objection was properly dismissed in accordance with the Club by laws or constitution and provided further that the AGM was properly convened and had a quorum.

I hope this is helpful. If so, please click on 5 stars

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Many thanks.