plclegal
plclegal, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister at law
101823876

Basically I have a social worker who is doing a lot of this

Basically I have a social worker who is doing a lot of this that I find is teetering on the edge of legal and illegal and I want to know what the laws are regarding data and data protection
Assistant: Where is your social worker? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Can you please elaborate on that?
Assistant: What steps has your social worker taken so far?
Customer: Nothing so far I don't think we're having meetings and she's been revealing my personal information to people without my concent
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I don't know where they are station but I live in Preston village, Yorkshire
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
If that helps

Hello, my name is Peter and I’ll do my best to assist you today.

Please bear in mind as this is an email service and not live chat I may not respond immediately.

Can you tell me some more about this please and what remit the social worker is working with you under?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
OK just to let you know I'm 19 so I won't know a lot of the technical terms what does remit means?

OK - I'll steer clear of technical terms, no problem at all.

I need to know why the social worker is working with you - is this as a vulnerable adult, or is it because of concerns about your child, for example?

What meetings have there been?

What have they done that you are unhappy about?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
OK so back story I was homeless at the age of 17 and during that time I took a lot of drugs to cope with it as well as child hood trauma I have a fiancé who's also had a lot of problems when it came to drugs but she's 7months pregnant and because of thing I did when I was younger we have social services with us but she's done a lot of things which either puts me in a bad light for example. When I was fourteen I was referred to the lucina ward in Dublin (oh yeah BTW I'm Irish) now I said to them that I suspected I was a sociopath because I wasn't able to understand situations or empathise with people the way most people do, after moving back to the UK I had follow up assessments with CAMHS and they diagnosed me with ADHD and I am going to be tested for aspergers which is what they said is the likely hood rather than being a sociopath but in her notes all she wrote is 'suspected sociopath' she also handed my assessment papers that I hadnt and still haven't seen to my father in law without my concent and told him to read them to see then waited until he left the room before saying that chances are the baby will be put in fostering so obviously she was in hysterics and during this time she told her that she had to sign the papers that day because the assessment was going to be finished the following Monday even though she was seeing her parents on the Wednesday she made her sign my assessment papers without my concent and I wanted to know if she's allowed to do any of this because it doesn't feel right she works for East Riding child protection and my mother was the PA to the old head of child protection and even she's said its not right but you're the expert
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Ps my name is Christian
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I believe the meeting are pre birth assessments I don't know exactly what they're called
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
It's all very new to me as you can imagine
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I missed a bit the meeting in question regarding my info the only people there were my fiance her dad and the lady

OK Christan.

Your medical records can't be released or disclosed to anyone without your consent.

If there are speculative concerns about you, then these can be discussed with third parties in broad terms but disclosing your personal records/ reports is absolutely not OK.

You are looking at a significant data breach and a breach of your right to privacy.

You and the mother of your child have to give permission for social services involvement, and any prebirth assessment process is completely voluntary unless there is a court order in place.

I would also personally question the quality of the social work given that your assessments actually don't point to the risk factors that the social worker says they do - if the assessments had been read properly.

I'm pretty appalled, to be honest.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you! I knew something was up my fiance has also told me that this morning when her parents met with the social worker, she had a letter from my doctors disclosing information I had spoken to my doctor about privately, she openly discussed the contents of this letter to her parent even though I wasn't aware this letter had been sent, she has agreed to bring this letter with her on Monday. Are we right to assume she is wrong to share this information with her parents?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Up, my fiance :/
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
*

Absolutely - your doctor can't disclose your medical records without your permission and if these have been obtained without your consent and then distributed - there are so many issues here.

There are two separate things going on here though.

1. Social service concerns about you and whether they are valid - and if so whether their threat of removing your child is based on an assessment that will stand up in court

2. The failings of social services re your records.

The point being that the first issue is pressing, as your child may be taken into care if the assessments are not corrected and the second is shocking, but may have to take a back seat as you concentrate on the first issue.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
And another thing I was told there would be a meeting with 4 other social workers it was with her, the health visitor, the social workers boss which was meant for the 3rd of January but that never happen ong the social worker turned up
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I'm a bit of a hot head so I don't want to do or say anything that will put me in more trouble and risk my baby getting taken away so what would be the best course of action for now?

I suggest focussing on;

a) Completing the assessment process to prove that the concerns are not valid; and

b) Holding social services to account but not being too confrontational. Though they have done a lot wrong, you need to know the time to pick your battles.