Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I recently paid a locksmith £650 to unlock my front door on

I recently paid a locksmith £650 to unlock my front door on a Sunday. I was clearly scammed as I had the key but instead of unlocking the very stiff lock, the locksmith convinced me that he needed to cut through the deadlock and then fit a completely new lock. Do I have any right to request at the very least an itemised bill?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Fulham London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have emailed him several times toask for an itemised bill. The locksmith now claims that his company never did the job and the receipt I have does say Rainbow Locksmith at the top. However I am certain it was this firm and have phone records that prove it was ITCC that I phoned and also that he phoned me back twice to ascertain location.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: In addition, on company house, Rainbow locksmiths and ITCC have the same company headquarters.

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
That's fine

When exactly was this; which Sunday did he come out to do the job on?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It was Sunday 22 December. We were enroute to SA and were staying overnight in my eldest son's flat. I had the keys but my younger son inadvertently locked the deadlock with the key whereas we only really needed to open the door using the yale.

Thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Many thanks for your patience. You do not have the right to an itemised receipt but when a person enters into a contract for services, the Consumer Rights Act 2015 says that the work must be:

· Carried out with reasonable care and skill (to the same standard as any reasonably competent person in that trade or profession)

· Finished within a reasonable time (unless a specific time frame has been agreed)

· Provided at a reasonable cost (unless a specific price has been agreed)

So if they have clearly overcharged you or misled you into what needed doing then that is when you can challenge them over the costs. As you are the one that needs to pay them, you can refuse to do so, or only offer to pay what you consider to be reasonable. It would then be up to them to decide whether to challenge you for the remainder. The only way they can try and force you to pay is by making a claim in the Small Claims Court. This is not very risky to be honest as even if they win you will only have to pay the difference they were after and they court fees which will only be around £100 or so.

Does this answer your query?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Not really as we have already paid them and are now looking for redress which is considerably difficult as they appear to have written a receipt from a bogus company which does not appear to exist and are denying that they ever attended the address to do the work!

If you have paid them then your only redress is to consider a claim against them in the Small Claims Court to try and recover some of the money you believe you were overcharged with. Does this clarify things a bit more for you?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it does. Thank you. ***** claim from my credit card provider?

You can try but the outcome is very much down to them and there is no guarantee they will accept such a claim, but nothing to lose by trying…

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

All the best