How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask plclegal Your Own Question
plclegal, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6597
Experience:  Barrister at law
Type Your Law Question Here...
plclegal is online now

Please can you advise me regarding grandparents rights and

This answer was rated:

Please can you advise me regarding grandparents rights and would i have to pay for them?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No i have done nothing as yet
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: Brentwood
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have concerns about my grandchildren their mother passed away and my son has remarried someone with bipolar and other mental health problems

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I’ll do my best to assist you today.

Please bear in mind as this is an email service and not live chat I may not respond immediately.

Are you being prevented from having contact, or are you actually considering making an application for custody of the children?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
At the moment I am not being denied access but I think it maybe the case. I need to safeguard my grandsons. This woman changed her name by deed pole after 2 months of knowing my son she doesn’t want her mental health team to find out where she’s gone. She changed dramatically the day after the wedding. I got a call to say my son had taken an overdose. She has now manipulated my son so we cannot go inside his house. None of his maternal family. All of her family have alienated her. She has told my grandson that I killed his mother and he hates me!!!! I have no where to go with this I fear she will take it out on my grandsons

OK. In the first instance I suggest that as some of the issues you raise concern child protection issues (on the grounds of emotional harm) you may wish to consider reporting this to the local authority (social services). If your access/ contact is denied, you will have grounds to apply through the courts for contact.

I'm not convinced that you will be able to apply for custody though, if this was something you were considering at this stage. Alienating the family (though emotionally damaging) is not enough to make a family court judge remove children from their parent, in my experience.

Can I clarify anything for you?

plclegal and 7 other Law Specialists are ready to help you